Chances of getting accepted into UC schools

rims

Chances of getting accepted into UC schools

Post by rims » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:03 am

Hi, my question is about the chances for international students of getting accepted into UC schools (without external funding). I know there is an older thread about this topic, but I posted there and I got no answer, so I thought it would be ok to refresh the discussion with a new thread now that we are in time of applications.

So to be more specific, I'd like to know if the situation next year is likely to be similar to the one this year, meaning that it's going to be very hard to get accepted into UC schools. If this is so, it seems that the best chance is to get a RA for the first year, instead of a TA. Is there a standard procedure to get a RA (assuming that my application is strong enough to begin with), like contacting a professor and asking formally for funding, or should I just cross my fingers?

satyad18

Re: Chances of getting accepted into UC schools

Post by satyad18 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:16 am

rims wrote:Hi, my question is about the chances for international students of getting accepted into UC schools (without external funding). I know there is an older thread about this topic, but I posted there and I got no answer, so I thought it would be ok to refresh the discussion with a new thread now that we are in time of applications.

So to be more specific, I'd like to know if the situation next year is likely to be similar to the one this year, meaning that it's going to be very hard to get accepted into UC schools. If this is so, it seems that the best chance is to get a RA for the first year, instead of a TA. Is there a standard procedure to get a RA (assuming that my application is strong enough to begin with), like contacting a professor and asking formally for funding, or should I just cross my fingers?
I had contacted a professor working in Quantum Gravity at UC Davis. He replied saying that almost all UC schools are having the budget problem. In addition, they have to put more money for international students than domestic. Due to this reason, there will not be much intake of international students next year. I wouldn't say he discouraged me to apply, but it was a warning nevertheless!

grae313

Post by grae313 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:18 am

There is no formal procedure for obtaining an RA at most programs. You'd have to contact a professor individually and with all the people that attempt to contact professors, you would have to have an extremely attractive research background for a professor to basically agree to fund your education out of his personal grant money.

pymtab

Post by pymtab » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:17 pm

Why do they pay more for international students?
Is it becasue of visa processing fees?

kroner

Post by kroner » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:07 pm

pymtab wrote:Why do they pay more for international students?
Is it becasue of visa processing fees?
Mostly because the government provides some subsidies and grants that are for domestic students only.