Late 4th letter of recommendation

blinkmiss

Late 4th letter of recommendation

Post by blinkmiss » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:31 pm

I submitted 4 letter writers for my applications, and the 4th one hasn't submitted any yet. He even told me he doesn't intend to till January, when he says most of the letters for my undergrad department's applicants come in. I am kind of worried at this point: should I just cancel his name from my applications? Anyway, I can't do anything over the holidays since the schools are closed.

TakeruK

Re: Late 4th letter of recommendation

Post by TakeruK » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:28 pm

It should be okay since most committees won't meet until January. However, it is really weird that the prof just chooses to ignore the other school's deadlines.

Fortunately, most applications only need 3 letters right? If you have a 4th and it doesn't come in time, it should not be a big deal. If you remove your prof's name it might cause some awkwardness between you and them.

blinkmiss

Re: Late 4th letter of recommendation

Post by blinkmiss » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Yes, I agree it's weird! Even my undergrad's official deadline has passed, he was using the fact that most letters for my undergrad are submitted in January as an example to show that submitting letters arbitrarily late is apparently fine. Honestly, at this point, I don't care much for our relationship: this is someone I worked for in the first half of college, and I have completely switched fields since. I guess I will wait for now, and decide what to do in January.