Postdoc vs Professor letter writer

OrangePumpkin

Postdoc vs Professor letter writer

Post by OrangePumpkin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:46 am

Hello,
I'e worked on an REU research project which I'd like to get a LOR from, and I'm slightly unsure as to the etiquette of the inquiry. Nearly all my work was managed and supervised by a post doc since the senior scientist was traveling for the majority of my stay at the lab (even then, I only met her three times). The post doc clearly knows my work better, and from previous posts I;ve gathered that it's better to have the post doc write the letter and have the professor/lead scientist co-sign it. However, is it a better idea to contact the professor asking for a letter written by a post doc, or contact a postdoc and then ask if they can have the professor cosign? In essence, I'm not sure whether it is advisable to contact the professor or post doc at first. I don't want to slight the postdoc or the professor by leaving them out.

TakeruK

Re: Postdoc vs Professor letter writer

Post by TakeruK » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Why not ask them both at the same time, in an email addressed to both to them and basically say that you are applying to grad schools and how would they recommend getting an LOR from this group, given the supervising situation.