Who is best for my LOR

cedge113

Who is best for my LOR

Post by cedge113 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi,
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm wondering what would be more beneficial:
Submitting 3 letters of recommendation from professors I've done research with, or 2 from professors I've done research with and one from a prof I took classes from. I've only done undergrad research on two different projects, but one of them is ran by 2 professors. So if I were to do all recommendations from research experience, 2 of them would be from profs that were working on the same thing. Their letters would definitely be more complimentary/personal than one from a teacher, but I don't know if grad schools would dislike that it they were working on the same thing. Does it not make a difference? Would it give me the same competitive edge as someone who had letters from three different areas of research?

TakeruK

Re: Who is best for my LOR

Post by TakeruK » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:01 pm

I think having 3 research letters, even if two of them are on the same project is still better than 2 research letter + 1 "did well in class" letter. You should talk to your co-supervisors about this too -- maybe they can arrange it so that they don't say the same thing about you. Usually it's rare to have two supervisors that supervise exactly the same thing, so they can probably still write about different aspects of the same project.

cedge113

Re: Who is best for my LOR

Post by cedge113 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:39 pm

Thanks!