What do you think of this LOR

P-representation

What do you think of this LOR

Post by P-representation » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:17 pm

Last edited by P-representation on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minovsky

Re: What do you think of this LOR

Post by Minovsky » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Huh? It seems coherent to me. It's organized roughly chronologically, which seems fine. Their English isn't great, but it will probably be acceptable if English isn't the standard language of discourse in your country (which sounds like the case).

You seem to have a pretty good relationship with this professor. If they haven't sent it in yet, it's probably OK to politely ask them to make the changes you want (correct dates, elaborate more on your contributions, etc.).

"He has proved that the ________ is due to the _______, which mimics the _______."
"He has strong interest in innovation and research. His ability is beyond any question."
"I strongly recommend him for the Ph.D. program of your esteemed University."

This sounds like a pretty favorable recommendation, what more do you expect them to say?

Here are Princeton's guidelines for LORs:
http://www.princeton.edu/physics/gradua ... ission.pdf
I don't see many questions there that are unanswered by your letter.

Tom Joad

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:40 pm

Yeah, it doesn't seem bad at all (coming from someone who has never read a letter of recommendation before). You've got to remember that they're not judging you based on the quality of writing of the LOR like they might do on your SOP, just the content.

That is, assuming the blanks were added in by you!

P-representation

Post by P-representation » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:10 am

Thanks for your replies. The only thing I was concerned was that while he mentioned a lot about my early work with him- setting up experiments in his lab and all, he hardly elaborated about my real work with him. Thankfully, I have covered those points in detail in my SOP.

I just hope they don't judge his english too harshly :?

deathinacan

Post by deathinacan » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:42 am

I agree with you in that I would hope that my recommenders would elaborate about some of the most recent work that I have done. Still, I don't think it is a bad recommendation. I won't be seeing any of my recommendations, so I'm just hoping for the best.