deadlines make me a paranoid person

ryan6
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:12 pm

deadlines make me a paranoid person

Postby ryan6 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:52 am

This may be a stupid question, but when exactly are the letters of the recommendation due? On the same deadline that the applications are due? Apparently some schools dont send out recommendation request emails until the application has been submitted. So, if I completed/submitted a few days before the deadline (say its Dec 15), do the recommenders also have to meet this deadline? Or, do the schools usually allow professors a few weeks after the application deadline to send the recommendation?

The reason why I am trying to clarify this point is because I would like more time to perfect my SOP. But if my recommenders need this time before deadlines, then I will go ahead and submit. Thanks

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: deadlines make me a paranoid person

Postby CarlBrannen » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:25 am

Let's see what admissionprof says.

One place I've sent an application to said that the LoR were to arrive by the end of the year. But when I look at this realistically, I don't see how they're going to start looking at applications before around Jan 15th. So I'm a gonna guess that having your recommendations a little late is not going to be a big deal.

On the other hand, I hate deadlines. I'm getting my applications in yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I'm basically 5 down and 4 or 5 to go. (I'm getting iffy about going to UNM after talking to some professors there, so I might save $50)

And after I get the applications out, then I will start moving official transcripts and GRE scores. But really, that will be a pleasure compared with writing SoPs.

axiomofchoice
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: deadlines make me a paranoid person

Postby axiomofchoice » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:58 am

CarlBrannen wrote:On the other hand, I hate deadlines. I'm getting my applications in yesterday, today, and tomorrow. I'm basically 5 down and 4 or 5 to go. (I'm getting iffy about going to UNM after talking to some professors there, so I might save $50)

And after I get the applications out, then I will start moving official transcripts and GRE scores. But really, that will be a pleasure compared with writing SoPs.


Well good for you! I'm a real procrastinator when it comes to ... surprise ... doing applications, from college apps to REU apps to grad school apps. I like to get the easy stuff (transcript, request GRE scores) done first, except now I'm left with writing sop. Urrrrrrgh!

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: deadlines make me a paranoid person

Postby grae313 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:09 pm

Usually if the school lists a single application due date, that's when they want all the materials by. I've never heard of schools not sending LOR info until the application is submitted--usually the emails are sent when you register your recommenders.

Often they list two dates, one for your application and one for supplementary materials, in which case of course the LORs would need to be in by the latter date.

If you actually have a school that doesn't send out LOR requests until you submit the app and all they list is the application deadline, then I can't imagine they'd expect the LORs by that date as well. The easiest thing for you to do in this case is give the department a call and ask. You can have this cleared up 100% in five minutes.

ryan6
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: deadlines make me a paranoid person

Postby ryan6 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:41 pm

grae313 wrote:Usually if the school lists a single application due date, that's when they want all the materials by. I've never heard of schools not sending LOR info until the application is submitted--usually the emails are sent when you register your recommenders.

Often they list two dates, one for your application and one for supplementary materials, in which case of course the LORs would need to be in by the latter date.

If you actually have a school that doesn't send out LOR requests until you submit the app and all they list is the application deadline, then I can't imagine they'd expect the LORs by that date as well. The easiest thing for you to do in this case is give the department a call and ask. You can have this cleared up 100% in five minutes.


Seems like every university has their own way of doing this :x but here is what I found in cornells application

"""
Online submission note:
After entering the recommender's information below, you may also need to register each online recommender in the Recommender section of this application. Please note that Recommenders for applicants in the following fields will not be notified until AFTER their application has been submitted
"""

and applied physics is one of those fields. But if application deadline is Jan 5 (which it is for cornell) then how would recommendations work if i submitted on jan 5? I guess I could call each school :?

axiomofchoice
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: deadlines make me a paranoid person

Postby axiomofchoice » Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:40 am

ryan6 wrote:Seems like every university has their own way of doing this :x but here is what I found in cornells application

"""
Online submission note:
After entering the recommender's information below, you may also need to register each online recommender in the Recommender section of this application. Please note that Recommenders for applicants in the following fields will not be notified until AFTER their application has been submitted
"""

and applied physics is one of those fields. But if application deadline is Jan 5 (which it is for cornell) then how would recommendations work if i submitted on jan 5? I guess I could call each school :?


I think it means that the application system will send out the LOR request email to your writers only after you submitted your application, instead of right after you hit those "send request" buttons.

admissionprof
Posts: 364
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: deadlines make me a paranoid person

Postby admissionprof » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:48 am

We like to have at least two of the three letters before looking at a folder, so it helps to beat the deadline by a few days, at least. Look, your letter writers will write one letter, and then make small modifications (if that, usually they make no change) for each school. Once their letter is on their computer, it doesn't take long to do the form---I usually do them within minutes of getting a request. So just make sure your letter writers are aware, LONG before the deadline, that you'll be asking for a letter, and then get your application in a little earlier.

The above applies to Jan. 15 and Feb. 1 deadlines. If it is Jan. 1st, or likely even Dec. 15th, then if the letters arrive a little late, it isn't a big deal. Admissions committee members have a life, and usually don't come in much over the holidays. So you probably have until the second week in January in any event (maybe a few days sooner for quarter system schools).

None of the above applies to Harvard/Princeton, since no general statements ever apply to Harvard/Princeton.

ryan6
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: deadlines make me a paranoid person

Postby ryan6 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:36 pm

admissionprof wrote: If it is Jan. 1st, or likely even Dec. 15th, then if the letters arrive a little late, it isn't a big deal. Admissions committee members have a life, and usually don't come in much over the holidays. So you probably have until the second week in January in any event (maybe a few days sooner for quarter system schools).

None of the above applies to Harvard/Princeton, since no general statements ever apply to Harvard/Princeton.


Ok, so, if the letters are submitted by the profs AFTER the application deadline, then the letters will still get added to the application? I assumed that once the deadline hit, the application closed off and no further documents/modifications could be added/changed.

Thanks for the replies

giga17
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:35 am

Re: deadlines make me a paranoid person

Postby giga17 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:58 am

The way I did it was to gather all the deadlines sometime in October/November, and compiled them in an Excel spreadsheet and sent it to my professors. In that way, they would have advanced warning of all the deadlines, and the moment you submit they will be ready to upload their LORs. And of course, adequate email reminders/notifications from time to time will help things as well.

Astro-K
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: deadlines make me a paranoid person

Postby Astro-K » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:02 am

@giga17 I did the same, but two of my references submitted their letters today (the day my first app was due) and the third is still MIA. Glad admissionprof is around for reassurance!




Return to “Letters of Recommendation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest