Lazy recommenders

senor_frijole

Lazy recommenders

Post by senor_frijole » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:06 am

Despite my incessant nagging, I don't think 2 of my recommenders submitted their LoR's yet for programs with a deadline of 12/15... is this a major problem?

nonick

Re: Lazy recommenders

Post by nonick » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:25 am

One of mine hasn't submitted yet. i talked to him and he said that I shouldn't worry. Apparently he knows how the admission committees work, and apparently it's ok to send the recommendation couple of days later. Basically, he tried to convince me that the deadline is only for when the application is sent, and that the supporting stuff like LOR-s and score reports are due before the admission committee starts reviewing the applications, which won't be before January.

Helio

Post by Helio » Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:46 am

yeah a couple days later is no problem, best is within 1 to 2 days.... i am nearly done with everything except for one of my recommenders who does everything last minute

techodestructo

Post by techodestructo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:48 pm

I have heard similar things from my bosses, who are both on the admission committee. Basically, they insist that the application deadline really only applies rigorously to the applicant. Just make sure the recommendation arrives before the admission committee gets together (early-mid Jan typically?), or a week or so prior to this date so an administrator will have time to compile everything together.

I am in the same position right now, and it's a little unnerving to have the recommenders taking their time days after the deadline has passed!