"Late" recommendations

Seen

"Late" recommendations

Post by Seen » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:04 pm

Does anyone know if schools expect recommendations to be submitted by the application deadline? I haven't really started bugging my recommenders yet, so I don't know if I can expect them to finish before some of the December deadlines (I should be fine for Jan 15, hopefully). This might make a difference in whether I apply to NYU, which has the earliest deadline I've seen (Dec 12), but a few others have later December deadlines also.

zxcv

Re: "Late" recommendations

Post by zxcv » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:34 pm

In general, yes, schools expect recommendations more or less by the deadline because that's when they'll start sorting through applications. At many places there may be somewhat more leniency with letter writers (or GRE scores) than with applicants, but they still need those letters to come in very shortly after your application. As long as you gave your letter writers plenty of notice and they told you they could do the deadline, I wouldn't worry about it [very much] if it ends up coming in a few days late. But you shouldn't tell them they can submit after the deadline.

Also, for better answers you can actually trust, call or email the school!

tmc

Post by tmc » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:35 pm

zxcv wrote:Also, for better answers you can actually trust, call or email the school!
I disagree; I think even if most schools wouldn't mind if the letters (or most other material) was a bit late, they probably wouldn't want the applicants to know that, otherwise everyone will start submitting stuff late.

Just like he shouldn't tell his recomenders they can send their stuff late, the university won't want to tell him that he can.

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:19 am

I think you can usually call the school and let them know that some part of your application will be coming in a little late. For instance, when I called last year, I got responses like this: "ok, as long as it gets in before date X, which is when our reviewers start looking at your application, it will be fine". Of course, I wasn't applying to top 10 schools last year either, so I wouldn't be surprised if those really competitive places were a bit more hardball about it.

murs

Post by murs » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:42 pm

On the topic of late recommendations, when is it time to start buggin my recommenders again? I asked all 3 of them in mid October, but only one has sent in their letter. The other two haven't sent anything to any of my schools, so should I be worried? When is it time to hassle them?

abeboparebop

Post by abeboparebop » Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:19 pm

murs wrote:On the topic of late recommendations, when is it time to start buggin my recommenders again? I asked all 3 of them in mid October, but only one has sent in their letter. The other two haven't sent anything to any of my schools, so should I be worried? When is it time to hassle them?
A week before the due date? That's been my approach.