Letters of Recommendation

digital19

Letters of Recommendation

Post by digital19 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:30 pm

I had a question about letters of recommendation. I've been working through school as a systems analyst at the same university I go to school at. It isn't physics related, mostly SQL database design/admin and coding in Python and ASP.NET.

I was thinking about getting a letter from my boss, because she has known me for three years and was very impressed with my work.

The down-side is that work has nothing to do with Physics per se.

Would it be better to get a third recommendation from a Physics professor who I've gotten the highest score in the class with, but who I've never really worked with?

While developing my application, is the: "I worked while getting through Physics Undergrad." a good route to go, or should I not emphasize that part?

Thanks for any advice!

stardust

Re: Letters of Recommendation

Post by stardust » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:34 pm

If you are unsure, you may be able to add a fourth rec letter. Some schools are okay with it and if you look at former
posts some people have done that. But, if you were hiring a grad student who will work in your lab I would think it
would be nice to know that the student is a responsible worker AND is computer literate. But, others may just want to
know you are passionate and can handle the physics.

I think some people (by people I mean committee members) are impressed that you helped put yourself through school.
You can use the phrase 'self-supporting' if it fits, but I think also that some people are so spoiled that its easier for
them to take people who never had to work - sad but true.

I think the whole thing boils down to who is looking at your application.