TakeruK wrote:I don't have the details of your letter but in many places, you actually are supported by both. For example, at one of my school, my funding was split roughly equally 1/3 TA work, 1/3 RA work and 1/3 in fellowships. Are you certain that you have to pick one or the other (i.e. are they giving you a choice / asking you to make a decision?).
shep23 wrote:Disclaimer: Emailing the grad chair and asking him/her to clarify is the best thing you can do.
I believe you do have a choice: take the base offer (TA) and decline the fellowship, or accept the fellowship. In my opinion, you'd be crazy not to accept it, because having 20 extra hours a week to do whatever is invaluable. You could always TA next year or during the summer if you wanted, too. Just my opinion.
Arbitrary wrote:I'd definitely say take the fellowship.
Though 300$/mo is certainly not negligible, I'm finding that 20 hours in my week are worth way more than that.
TakeruK wrote:Ah okay, it does sound like you might have a choice, because it sounds like the department originally offered you the TAship then you have now won a fellowship. Congrats!
However, you might not have a choice if the department still expects you to TA because they need TAs. Many schools I've been to in the past still required TAing from their fellowship winners (although usually a reduced TA load). But in these cases, you do get more money for TAing on top of the fellowship (although not strictly the sum of the two).
I agree with everyone else that at this point, you should send the text of both to your department and ask for clarification. (The department might not know about your fellowship offer at this time!)
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest