Application fees and waivers

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Application fees and waivers

Postby CarlBrannen » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:00 pm

I've been getting semi-spam email from graduate departments. One from RPI offers to waive the graduate application fee if I fill out a form. This was apparently because I filled out the free application at ETS that tells schools that you're interested in grad school. Anyone else get this sort of thing?

I assume that they sent me this based on my general GRE since I only took the physics GRE in October.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby WhoaNonstop » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:29 pm

Let's just say, since I first took the Physics GRE in October 2009, I've probably received at least 30 emails from Rush University about joining their program (something medical based it seems). They haven't stopped either, but it always seems to give me a smile. I swear I know everything about that school now just because of the emails from them.

-Riley

kroner
Posts: 218
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:58 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby kroner » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:35 pm

Yeah, I still get these. But it seems like they're all about business school or engineering or something else I don't give a crap about. Then again it's not like it costs them anything to bombard people with poorly targeted advertising.

Moral: Don't check that box.

schwiss
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:49 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby schwiss » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:21 am

CarlBrannen wrote:I've been getting semi-spam email from graduate departments. One from RPI offers to waive the graduate application fee if I fill out a form. This was apparently because I filled out the free application at ETS that tells schools that you're interested in grad school. Anyone else get this sort of thing?

I assume that they sent me this based on my general GRE since I only took the physics GRE in October.


RPI was exceptionally nice. Their first e-mail said "Dear George" (my name is not George), then they sent another mail with a corrected name, then a third one stating that "The application fee cannot and wil lnot (sic) be waived", presumably because I'm international. Really professional.

User avatar
satyad18
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:17 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby satyad18 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:14 am

schwiss wrote:RPI was exceptionally nice. Their first e-mail said "Dear George" (my name is not George), then they sent another mail with a corrected name, then a third one stating that "The application fee cannot and wil lnot (sic) be waived", presumably because I'm international. Really professional.

Same here! Except that I didn't bother to read their mail and (possibly) find it addressed to someone else!

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby HappyQuark » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:25 am

schwiss wrote:
CarlBrannen wrote:I've been getting semi-spam email from graduate departments. One from RPI offers to waive the graduate application fee if I fill out a form. This was apparently because I filled out the free application at ETS that tells schools that you're interested in grad school. Anyone else get this sort of thing?

I assume that they sent me this based on my general GRE since I only took the physics GRE in October.


RPI was exceptionally nice. Their first e-mail said "Dear George" (my name is not George), then they sent another mail with a corrected name, then a third one stating that "The application fee cannot and wil lnot (sic) be waived", presumably because I'm international. Really professional.


That's rather interesting because I've been getting a bunch of these from something called "liberal arts at Penn" and they keep addressing me as Jim (my name is not Jim).

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby WhoaNonstop » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:56 am

Mine are addressed to "Taylor". I think I'm getting your mail. Want to PM me your email address so I can forward them to you? ;)

-Riley

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby HappyQuark » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:44 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:Mine are addressed to "Taylor". I think I'm getting your mail. Want to PM me your email address so I can forward them to you? ;)

-Riley


You do want to know me, since you take the effort to research my name. How pathetic.

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby CarlBrannen » Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:49 pm

Tulane has no application fee:
http://www.physics.tulane.edu/StudentsGradFAQ.shtml

Ranked around 20

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby WhoaNonstop » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:12 pm

HappyQuark wrote:You do want to know me, since you take the effort to research my name. How pathetic.


I actually saw it in the Physics GRE Omnibus... I swear I'm not stalking you on a daily basis...

...or am I?

-Riley

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby HappyQuark » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:06 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:You do want to know me, since you take the effort to research my name. How pathetic.


I actually saw it in the Physics GRE Omnibus... I swear I'm not stalking you on a daily basis...

...or am I?

-Riley


The phrasing of that sentence, the one I copied that is, makes me chuckle heartily.

riceOnWok wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:.........


Do you have nothing better to do that to waste your life write long post here? For your information, i did ask many admission people, and they all advise me to do what i wrote in the op. You do want to know me, since you take the effort to research the school i went to. How pathetic. "junior high research"? Can you not *** read?


On a more serious note, I'm looking out of my bedroom window and I can see you behind those bushes with the binoculars!

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby WhoaNonstop » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:03 pm

HappyQuark wrote:On a more serious note, I'm looking out of my bedroom window and I can see you behind those bushes with the binoculars!


Just for the hell of it, let's assume I went old school and built a telescope to stalk you. In order to get 10 times magnification of you posting on PhysicsGRE.com, I plan on using an objective lens with focal length 15 centimeters. What is the focal length of the eyepiece lens and how far away do the two lenses need to be separated?

-Riley

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby HappyQuark » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:12 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
HappyQuark wrote:On a more serious note, I'm looking out of my bedroom window and I can see you behind those bushes with the binoculars!


Just for the hell of it, let's assume I went old school and built a telescope to stalk you. In order to get 10 times magnification of you posting on PhysicsGRE.com, I plan on using an objective lens with focal length 15 centimeters. What is the focal length of the eyepiece lens and how far away do the two lenses need to be separated?

-Riley


Although this would ultimately mean I helped you stalk me, here goes nothing.

Start with the magnification equation M=\frac{f_o}{f_e} and plug in the 10x magnification and 15 cm objective focal length to find f_e = 1.5\ \mbox{cm}. Since you want a crystal clear image of me while you sit in the bushes in your trench coat, licking your lips and braiding you hair while mumbling about naughty pigeons... you will want the focal points of each lens to coincide so you add the object lens and eye piece focal lengths together to get a lens separation length of

f_o + f_e = 15\ \mbox{cm} + 1.5\ \mbox{cm} = 16.5\ \mbox{cm}

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby WhoaNonstop » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:03 am

Mmm.. Naughty Pigeons.

-Riley

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby grae313 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:58 am

Get a room you two.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby HappyQuark » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:18 am

grae313 wrote:Get a room you two.

That is so hypocritical. I happen to know you were in those very same bushes the night before.

User avatar
WhoaNonstop
Posts: 851
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 am

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby WhoaNonstop » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:42 am

grae313 wrote:Get a room you two.


Let's say we were to get a room and pretend for the sake of physics, we could be represented by atoms. Assuming most of this forum would appreciate being in this room, let's say there are N people who are inside it. If the room has a 1.0 cubic meter volume. The probability that none of us are in a section of 1.0 x 10^-6 cubic meter volume in the room is?

-Riley

User avatar
grae313
Posts: 2297
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 8:46 pm

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby grae313 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:57 pm

HappyQuark wrote:
grae313 wrote:Get a room you two.

That is so hypocritical. I happen to know you were in those very same bushes the night before.


W...what? That was uh... that was my cousin. Yeah. My cousin.

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby CarlBrannen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:52 pm

grae313 wrote:Get a room you two.


I was going to say something like this, but with more of a flavor of something like "youth is wasted on the young", "now that I'm an old man the women won't leave me alone but I'm too old to give them what they want", and "can you get eyelash mites by kissing?"

But I couldn't distill it down to a pithy one-liner. Maybe didn't try hard enough.

P.S. http://www.worsleyschool.net/science/fi ... tures.html

blighter
Posts: 256
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:30 pm

Re: Application fees and waivers

Postby blighter » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:28 am

schwiss wrote:
CarlBrannen wrote:I've been getting semi-spam email from graduate departments. One from RPI offers to waive the graduate application fee if I fill out a form. This was apparently because I filled out the free application at ETS that tells schools that you're interested in grad school. Anyone else get this sort of thing?

I assume that they sent me this based on my general GRE since I only took the physics GRE in October.


RPI was exceptionally nice. Their first e-mail said "Dear George" (my name is not George), then they sent another mail with a corrected name, then a third one stating that "The application fee cannot and wil lnot (sic) be waived", presumably because I'm international. Really professional.


That's strange. Any idea as to why this keeps happening year after year after year? I got an email yesterday from UC Riverside that read:
Dear [My name],

Earlier I had sent you an email inviting you to apply to the Graduate Program in Physics & Astronomy at UC Riverside, but I had gotten your name wrong. I had a problem with one of my lists of prospective students which had the name and email scrambled.

After checking, the email was indeed meant for you and I would like to invite you to apply for the Graduate Program in Physics & Astronomy. This is a research oriented Ph.D. program with an M.S. degree awarded at an intermediate stage. Below, I am sending you again the information about the program, including the correct username and password for the UCR Graduate Success Page. Sorry about the earlier mixup.


I looked up their earlier email and indeed it was addressed to some 'Daniel'.




Return to “Funding”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest