a doubt..

satyad18

a doubt..

Post by satyad18 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:08 am

In connection with the previous topic "about financial problem", I got a doubt. Does it still hold that we get full funding when applying for Ph.d, considering the present condition of economic recession.? And also, due to this slow down, is it true that even people with low gre score(~1200) could get into good grad school.?! Like only small group of people would be eyeing for studies outside India. Plz do make these things clear..and plz do elaborate a bit further, as required.

grae313

Re: a doubt..

Post by grae313 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:39 am

There are no exceptions. A graduate school will only admit as many students as they have full funding for. If they have less funding one year, it means a smaller class size. Everyone's funding is guaranteed on admission. If they accidentally get too many students one year and go over their budget, every University has financial reserves which they will use, then try to aim for a smaller class size next year to balance it out.

In general, tough economic times means it's harder for people to find jobs, so there are more applicants to graduate school, and simultaneously less funding available. These are the most competitive times for applicants, not the easiest. However, no matter what year you apply, you'll have to have an excellent overall application to gain admission to a top university, as there are always plenty of excellent applicants every year.

Please keep in mind that the US admissions system is very different from what I've heard of the Indian system. Test scores are only a small part of your application and cannot guarantee you anything. Applicants are not ranked based on scores. Their entire application is judged as a whole, and strong letters of recommendation, good grades, and excellent research experience can all offset poorer test scores.

physics_auth

Re: a doubt..

Post by physics_auth » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:10 am

grae313 wrote:.
Please keep in mind that the US admissions system is very different from what I've heard of the Indian system. Test scores are only a small part of your application and cannot guarantee you anything. Applicants are not ranked based on scores. Their entire application is judged as a whole, and strong letters of recommendation, good grades, and excellent research experience can all offset poorer test scores.
Very valuable information (if there is any other topic about how US admission system works please send the link....). Unfortunately, I am not from US and in my country students do not have " decent" reaseach experience. Fortunately, I managed to participate in an REU program!
Thanks