Want to do theoretical physics in grad school, but only have an experimental research experience.

magnet625

Want to do theoretical physics in grad school, but only have an experimental research experience.

Post by magnet625 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:59 am

Hi,

I am planning to apply for top theoretical particle physics Ph.D programs, and I do have a solid research experience in my undergraduate. But I'm concerning that none of my research was about theoretical or particle physics. (done some condensed matter, AMO experimental researches.)

I know it's still better to have any types of research than nothing, but I'm wondering how much.
Would grad school expect students to have research experience in the field they are applying for? Do students with no relevant experience even have a chance to be considered?

Thanks,

TakeruK

Re: Want to do theoretical physics in grad school, but only have an experimental research experience.

Post by TakeruK » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:08 am

You don't need research experience at all to get into graduate school.

Any research experience, even in a different field, will be valuable for grad school applications. Usually, undergraduate work is not advanced enough to make you an "expert" in that subfield only. The important part is to get introduced to research, having the right mindset/approach, and learn some skills that are transferable to all fields of physics.