Employment History

huyphan93

Employment History

Post by huyphan93 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:40 am

I come across an Employment History section in the graduate school online application. Is that where we suppose to put our research experience? Is only "proper job" counted? Can we put school tutoring or teacher assistant in that section?

Thanks

Aether73

Re: Employment History

Post by Aether73 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:03 am

Hi huyphan93, I've come across the same sort of difficulty. Some schools seem to want only jobs that you got paid to do in that section, some seem to want 'unpaid occupations' as well. If you got paid for tutoring/TA'ing I don't think there's harm in including it. I also don't think that many applicants will have had 'proper jobs' relevant to their field of study yet.

I'd like to hear everyone else's input on this as well.

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:39 pm

I don't always think this is the best thing to do, but sometimes I just don't bother filling that out.

Only reason is because I haven't had any jobs beyond TAing/Grading. I feel like if I had some industry experience, I would fill it out. Other times I do put down my research experience ( like summer ones where I got a stipend).

Most of of the Universities I apply to ask for CV/Resume, so I just attach that.

starformationrate

Post by starformationrate » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:50 pm

Bumping this because I'm also running into this issue... I've been paid for summer research positions in the past, but am not being paid for the research I'm doing right now (and other research projects I've done in the past). What counts as employment?