Research in Quantum Computing?

PathIntegrals92

Research in Quantum Computing?

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:59 am

Hey Everyone,
I am currently working on application/statements. Well actually my statements are very general because I don't really have a list yet. I wanted wait until my pgre scores came out to come up with a list...

The schools I do have are more in the top 70 range ( mostly for CME and HEP-EX). My background is in HEP-TH ( 2 projects).

I am very interested in studying and doing research in quantum computing. I have spent some time reading through Preskill lectures and various books. I also LOVED quantum mechanics during my undergrad (took 4 semesters)! The thing is, whenever I google "research in quantum computing" or something like that the institutions that come up are all extremely competitive! Places like MIT, Berkeley, Caltech etc.

Other people have asked this question and the answers are the same type of institutions. I know this area is rather new so the places that have research in this area are limited, but I was hoping if someone here knows of other schools? Preferably in the U.S ( I am a domestic student).

I was hoping to do direct research in quantum computing. I have looked at places that have condensed matter experiments that would have applications to quantum computing/information.

Catria

Re: Research in Quantum Computing?

Post by Catria » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:51 pm

So USC is not for you then?

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:36 pm

Oh I should have completed that list. I sort of lumped USC with MIT, Berkeley, Caltech, Waterloo, Harvard. ...

I heard many great things about USC Lockhead Martin Quantum Computation center, and I am sure admission for that would be competitive.

I wanted to wait for my PGRE to decide whether or not to apply there. **I had applied and was rejected by USC last year, so I really really am hoping for an increase in PGRE**.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:38 pm

This is what I got from the first hit of my first google search:

• Centre for Quantum Computation - Qubit.org - Research centre based at the Oxford University. It conducts theoretical and experimental research into all aspects of quantum information processing and providing information about current events and other groups working in this topic. [!]
    Centre for Quantum Computation, Cambridge - Provides an overview of quantum computation and cryptography work at Cambridge University. There are also tutorials and announcements of upcoming conferences and workshops. [!]
    Heinrich-Heine-Universitat Dusseldorf - Group formed by Dagmar Bruss. Research in classification of entangled states, quantum cloning and state estimation. [!]
    HP QIP - Quantum Information Processing (QIP) Group based in HP Laboratories, Bristol, UK. Areas of interest include quantum computation, quantum cryptography and quantum communication. [!]
    Institute for Quantum Computing - Official website of the Institute for Quantum Computing. Based at the University of Waterloo, Canada. [!]
    Institute for Quantum Information - CalTech's Institute provides lectures and papers for intermediate and advanced readers on the subject of Quantum Information and Quantum Computing. [!]
    Laboratory for Theoretical and Quantum Computing, Montreal - Publications, laboratory staff members, and Java applets related to quantum cryptography, quantum information, quantum teleportation, computational complexity, algorithmics, and graph theory. [!]
    McGill Quantum Computing Research Group - Active group pursuing the study and development of quantum-mechanics based cryptography, algorithms, complexity theory and information theory. [!]
    Micro-analytical Research Centre Melbourne - Melbourne Node of the Australian Research Council's Research Centre for Quantum Computer Technology. Based at the University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. [!]
    QI Group at the University of Leeds - Group lead by Vlatko Vedral working on quantum information, quantum optics, Bose-Einstein condensates and statistical mechanics. [!]
    The Quantum Circuits Group, University of Michigan - Automated synthesis, simulation and testing of conventional and quantum logic circuits. [!]
    Quantum Computing at The Max Plank Institute - An overview of quantum computer related research taking place at the Max Plank Institute. The primary focus is ion trap based computing. Selected reprints are available. [!]
    Quantum Computing Group, Southern Illinois University - Research in quantum compuation, simulating quantum systems, quantum information and quantum error correction. [!]
    Quantum Cryptography in Norway - Application-oriented research at NTNU, Trondheim and Telenor, Oslo [!]
    Quantum Experiments and the Foundations of Physics - Research group lead by Anton Zeilinger at the Institute for Experimental Physics, University of Vienna, Austria. The groups is working on photonic entanglement experiments, Bell's inequalities, quantum communication and quantum cryptography. [!]
    Quantum Informatics at the University of Aarhus - Performs research on quantum computing with an emphasis on quantum cryptography. [!]
    Quantum Information Group - Group at the Quantum Electronics Laboratory, Faculty of Physics, Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan, Poland. [!]
    Quantum Information Group at Innsbruck - Group lead by Hans J. Briegel at the Institute for Theoretical Physics, University of Innsbruck.
    Research work in quantum information theory and quantum entanglement. [!]
    Quantum Information Science @ MIT - Offers an of the activities of groups at MIT interested in Quantum Information Science. [!]
    Quantum Systems of Informatics Group - Quantum Computing group at the Institute of Theoretical and Applied Informatics, Polish Academy of Sciences. Research in quantum programming languages and simulations of quantum computers. [!]
    Quantumlah - Quantum Information Technology group at the National University of Singapore. Group focuses on new quantum protocols and its implementation, quantum cryptography, quantum computation and fundamentals of quantum mechanics. [!]
    Queen's Quantum Technology Group, UK - Research division based as part of the School of Mathematics and Physics at Queen's University Belfast in Northern Ireland. Research interests involve the study of Quantum Optics, Solid State Physics and their applications to Quantum Information Processing. [!]
    QUINFO at University College London - Quantum Information theory group based at Department of Physics and Astronomy, University College London. Group lead by Sougato Bose. Research work in quantum information theory, coupled spin systems and entanglement theory. [!]
    RCQI Bratislava - Research Center for Quantum Information in Bratislava, Slovakia. Group lead by Vladimir Buzek. Research in quantum information and the theory of open quantum systems. [!]
    UPM Research Group on Quantum Information and Computation - The Quantum Information and Computation Research Group at the Universidad Politécnica de Madrid

Many of these schools are not in the top 50 internationally.

PathIntegrals92

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Thanks! I'll check those out. Many of the schools on that are outside of USA though.