Is this considered research experience?

Colorado155

Is this considered research experience?

Post by Colorado155 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:00 pm

Hi,

In my first year (summer) of undergraduate study, I was lucky enough to get a lab position with one of my professors. His research is primarily in spectral hole burning. Essentially he tasked me with taking an old broken spectrometer and get it into working order. He asked me to solder the severed engine control cables, the retrofit a new slit onto the spectrometer (design a part, have it made and delivered to the university), research and buy a lamp with appropriate power and and then couple the lamp (using the best method) to the spectrometer. I was to then optimize and calibrate the system (swap out the generic lenses, buy coated lenses w/ different focal lengths) and to make sure the output (fiber, open beam) was appropriate/high enough to be used in spectral hole burning experiments.

As stupid as this sounds, can I include this when applying? I keep reading about other people's research and I feel this may be "below" that.

Thanks.

PathIntegrals92

Re: Is this considered research experience?

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:42 pm

Don't worry about what others may or may not have done. I think you should include that in your application. Highlight the skills you have learned from the experience! =)

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:50 am

That's absolutely pertinent research experience. Loads of time in experimental physics is spent fiddling with finicky apparati, and that sounds like pretty much what you did.

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:37 am

Absolutely, what you are describing is the majority of actual work of a researcher, especially the part about getting the instrument to work / calibrating it.

Catria

Post by Catria » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:23 pm

Now that you have the titular question answered, did that research experience make you like experimental physics?

Donavan

Post by Donavan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:05 am

Hi.

I have something similar to this which culminated in an internal conference and poster presentation. It was lots of fiddling with a focused laser beam set-up and using it to thermally ablate material, and then investigate its electrical properties and do other characterisation methods. However, there's no publication to speak of as it remains an unsolved work.

I understand I should write it, but how should I go about writing such experiences?

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:58 am

I would list it under "experience" or "research" or whatever your heading is. I'd put something like "lab assistant" as the position (unless you have an official title). Then I would describe what you did below that, just like you did here.