Publishing without a professor?

jeffreyweee

Publishing without a professor?

Post by jeffreyweee » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:48 pm

How seriously will a journal take a submission from 2 students? 1 with a bachelors in biology and 1 with a bachelors in physics working on their masters? Obviously we have no intention of submitting to nature but instead a 2nd or 3rd tier journal. I realize it's quality dependent but would it make sense to get a professor on board just to justify it better?

TakeruK

Re: Publishing without a professor?

Post by TakeruK » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Have the two of you published before? If not, it would help to get a professor, or someone experienced, on board to at least help you navigate/figure out how publishing articles work. They can also be a great resource to make sure your writing style/tone is right and that you aren't missing any obvious holes. Their experience and knowledge would also help make sure you cite all the relevant sources -- citing the right people makes a big difference and it's how to get yourself "introduced" to the community.

So, I think that if the quality of the paper is good enough, two grad students should be able to submit an independent paper. But, I think it would really help you to have a professor guide you along. If you find a professor at your school who is interested in your work, then they might be able to help you improve the science too. In my opinion, you have a lot to gain from including a professor and nothing to lose.

bosemicrowave

Post by bosemicrowave » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:36 pm

TakeruK wrote:Have the two of you published before? If not, it would help to get a professor, or someone experienced, on board to at least help you navigate/figure out how publishing articles work. They can also be a great resource to make sure your writing style/tone is right and that you aren't missing any obvious holes. Their experience and knowledge would also help make sure you cite all the relevant sources -- citing the right people makes a big difference and it's how to get yourself "introduced" to the community.

So, I think that if the quality of the paper is good enough, two grad students should be able to submit an independent paper. But, I think it would really help you to have a professor guide you along. If you find a professor at your school who is interested in your work, then they might be able to help you improve the science too. In my opinion, you have a lot to gain from including a professor and nothing to lose.
Is this applicable for undergrad student(i.e who haven't joined MS/M.tech)?

jeffreyweee

Post by jeffreyweee » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:54 pm

I'd say more applicable to the less experienced, so yes.

bosemicrowave

Post by bosemicrowave » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:09 pm

jeffreyweee wrote:I'd say more applicable to the less experienced, so yes.
unfortunate I don't have any peer in my research interest(Quantum Computing and Quantum technology which together comes under quantum information)...hence I can publish only in small journal or so :(