The Super Elite physics student vs. the mediocre

tweetie_brid

The Super Elite physics student vs. the mediocre

Post by tweetie_brid » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:31 pm

Just doing some thinking. I was just doing a little reflection on my undergrad days, and what really seperated me from my super elite peers.

First I started out in chemical engineering, and later changed my major to physics. I also played NCAA Division III sports.

This tells me a couple things. I wasnt fully into devoted to my studies. I did physics almost as an afterthought.

I love physics, but I should have
1) Done some highschool science fairs
2) Declared a physics major immediately
3) Hooked up with a physics Prof, who could get me some publications while an undergrad
4) I only did a couple semesters interning in actual physics work.. The rest of my summers were spent on my dreams of becoming an NFL star!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In short I think the super elite are

1) focused
2) get publications
3) great relationship with profs
4) work in physics related jobs every semester, and teach labs when possible.
5) know what they want to do with the rest of their lives
6) Study like Andrew luck practices for football

feynman14c

Re: The Super Elite physics student vs. the mediocre

Post by feynman14c » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:02 am

I'm inclined to think it's more than just hard work; it takes a certain amount of extraordinary luck and also a highly idiosyncratic character to exceed in a truly remarkable manner in physics.

Raio

Re: The Super Elite physics student vs. the mediocre

Post by Raio » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:10 pm

you are either born with a gift or you can work your way up and reach that level through lots of sacrifice.
that being said, just being gifted doesn't mean you're automatically considered great, it still takes work imo.