I'm confused..help needed.!

satyad18

I'm confused..help needed.!

Post by satyad18 » Thu May 20, 2010 5:36 am

My PGRE november score was 590. I'm particularly interested in Mathematical Physics. I was thinking of retaking the PGRE. But as per my field of interest, I think I need to take math gre instead of phy gre. What do u all think.? Should I take math gre? I'm from India.

mobytish

Re: I'm confused..help needed.!

Post by mobytish » Thu May 20, 2010 7:03 am

Well, I don't know much about the field, but I'd recommend finding some schools you want to go to. Look at their admissions requirements and see if they require the math or physics gre (or both) and if they give an indication as to what score they're looking for. That should give you a better idea.

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:35 am

math gre---> math department
phy gre---> physics department

i did check up. Only a few physics departments of universities like GeorgiaTech and Indiana are having research groups in Mathematical physics. Almost all other universities have them in their math dept in the applied math division.

Hence the confusion.....and it still persists.!

Quantum Triviality

Post by Quantum Triviality » Thu May 20, 2010 9:11 am

Here is my impression of who cares about the which scores:

Pure math = math gre
Applied math = physics gre
Physics = physics gre

Where does mathematical physics fit it? I would guess that you should mainly be looking at applied math programs.

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Thu May 20, 2010 9:24 am

So..do you mean to say that I should consider retaking the physics gre.? Yes, i'm looking for applied math program. So if i apply to applied math program,viz in math dept, then only my pgre score will b taken into account.?

Quantum Triviality

Post by Quantum Triviality » Thu May 20, 2010 9:28 am

That is my understanding. I looked into applied math before deciding on physics and I was told that the math gre was not needed.

That being said, I can't say for sure if you need to retake it. My impression is that applied math doesn't place as much emphasis on the score. But, since we are talking now, you have the time to take the physics gre again in October before you apply, so I would retake it if I were you.

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:24 am

Ok. But are you sure they dont give much weight to the phy gre score. Because i'm an international student. What else did they tell you.? So i guess i'll have to do some search of universities having good applied math(mathematical physics) program and start studying for pgre. And i'm from india, so i can give only the november exam. Thanks.

kroner

Post by kroner » Thu May 20, 2010 12:49 pm

What topics are you interested in? Some mathematical physics topics fall into the category of pure math, for example differential geometry (for GR) and topology (for QFT).

I applied to math departments this year (although I was applying for pure math) and none of them asked about the PGRE. In fact most of the applications had no place to record a score, although I mentioned it in my SOP. Every school I applied to required the math GRE. I think not all applied math programs require the math GRE, but it's probably a good idea to have it anyway.

I think what you said earlier is right:
If you're applying to physics departments, focus on the PGRE.
If you're applying to math departments, the math GRE should have top priority.

But the best thing to do to answer the question would probably be to keep doing research on the sorts of departments you are interested in and see what they ask for.

satyad18

Post by satyad18 » Thu May 20, 2010 2:55 pm

Dear kroner,
i'm interested in whole of mathematical physics! It was your profile that made me think whether i need to write math gre or not. The only differences are that i'm an international student and have scored only 590 in november pgre! So what do you advice? Do i need to take math gre or would i get into applied math (mathematical physics) program with pgre score alone.?

Quantum Triviality

Post by Quantum Triviality » Thu May 20, 2010 3:17 pm

The only applied math professors I talked to were at the University of Wisconsin. They recommended I take the PGRE but not the math GRE.

None of the math professors I talked to were in mathematical physics, so my advice is to talk directly to a professor in mathematical physics.
But are you sure they dont give much weight to the phy gre score. Because i'm an international student. What else did they tell you.?
Remember, I was talking to an applied math professor about applied math graduate school. And I wouldn't say that don't give much weight to the phy gre score, but I am willing to say that applied math gives less weight than a physics grad program.

Sorry my advice might not be perfectly applicable. I recommend you start a new topic about mathematical physics, you might attract more people with the most relavent experience to comment.