"Research Experience" does not include lab class, right?

Hypernova

"Research Experience" does not include lab class, right?

Post by Hypernova » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:17 am

I was about to ask this in Rusume/CV, but decide to make a new one anyway. I do have some reseach expreince outside lab class (but with no publication :( ), and that the only thing I planned to write about research experience. Is that right? or I should add some of those lab as well?

Helio

Re: "Research Experience" does not include lab class, right?

Post by Helio » Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:05 am

not really as far as i know. I mean there might be some stuff you learned from it, as in technically experience

robertson

Post by robertson » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:40 am

If you're applying to experimental you have to talk about your labs at any rate. But in my opinion you shouldn't do it in a part of the application where they ask for research experience. Things that you do in a lab course are completely different from research experience. If I was you I would try to find another place to talk about that labs, like additional information or the SOP.

tmc

Post by tmc » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:07 pm

That would be like a theorist mentioning his GR class as research experience.

Sure, you can mention it somewhere with other relevant courses you took, but it's not research.

Hypernova

Post by Hypernova » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:28 pm

Thanks everyone. That make a lot of sense. I asked this because I've seen someone talk like they included a bit of lab class into research experience, which doesn't make sense to me.