Including Theology Certificate with Decent/Not Phenomenal GPA (~3.5)

tomado

Including Theology Certificate with Decent/Not Phenomenal GPA (~3.5)

Post by tomado » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:07 pm

Hey, quick question:

After undergrad I spent some time in seminary and got a certificate in theology - mostly focused on studying the Biblical books, and Languages (Greek, Hebrew) - not counseling/preaching/anything like that. My GPA was ok ~3.5. Would you think something like this would add to the breadth-of-life-experience thing that some admissions look for? Would the GPA hurt me? It wasn't a degree program, per se...but I was taking the same courses as students enrolled in Master's programs - just took a more focused and less class route (i.e. less money). I'm questioning whether or not I should include it in my resume/CV.

BTW My undergrad GPA (Physics) was 3.9, if that has any impact on the question.

Alina Austin

Re: Including Theology Certificate with Decent/Not Phenomenal GPA (~3.5)

Post by Alina Austin » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:53 am

This is based on the school on which you are looking for admission. Most of the schools in the USA are looking for degrees, not certifications. Though, having certification is an adding advantage. Research about some schools, and place the same questions in their box. They will let you know. That question would also consider for FAQ section, so that other candidates perhaps find it useful. All the best.

tomado

Post by tomado » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:44 pm

Thank you for your help.

I suppose my biggest concern is the GPA. It is not related to Physics at all, but still a 3.5 GPA might not look the greatest next to my PGPA 4.0, and over all 3.9. Maybe the unique quality of the certificate would add something though. Not sure. I suppose, if my GPA for the certificate was closer to my undergrad GPA, it would probably only add to my overall profile...however it might also be seen as an indicator that "I don't know what I want to do" - which is not the case at all.

At any rate, I don't think I'll be able to include that I pursued the certificate without providing a transcript. Right now, due to that, I'm leaning towards not including it. After all, I got a C in one of the courses, and my undergraduate record doesn't have any...

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:05 am

I would certainly include it in your personal essay or resume. It explains what you were doing for that time, it shows you're interested in learning, and gives you some breadth. I would not bother including transcripts or grades, because (a) 3.5 doesn't sound extraordinarily impressive, and (b) I really doubt any aptitude for theological study translates directly into graduate physics coursework. It's fine if you do, but it's going to get tossed to the side when they read the application.

Put another way, I disagree that you can't include the certification in your application without including the transcript.

tomado

Post by tomado » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:35 am

Interesting thoughts...so you don't think I have to list it in any sort of listing of previous education?

I actually may end up going that route...writing it into my SOP. Although it will be another full year before applying.

Thanks for your thoughts. They were helpful.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:54 am

Yeah, I would put it down as "Other Experience". Sure, it's a certification program and could go under education, but I didn't list all the education classes I took while I was teaching high school.