Technial details in SOP

phyz

Technial details in SOP

Post by phyz » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:38 am

How far do you go with it? I admit this is a bit vague but I'd like to hear general advice since I'm still only just starting out on my SOPs.

Are the people reading it professors (so they all at least have a physics PhD) in which case, is it okay to describe the problems I've worked on in reasonably high technical detail? Or is this not worth getting into?

phyz

Re: Technial details in SOP

Post by phyz » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:56 pm

Also, while I'm at it, is it normal to mention academic awards in the SOP? Or is it sufficient if this is in the CV only?

Nightzeit

Post by Nightzeit » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:12 pm

Hi phyz

Could you provide an example of some of the technical details that you're considering including?

Nightzeit

Post by Nightzeit » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:22 pm

phyz wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:56 pm
Also, while I'm at it, is it normal to mention academic awards in the SOP? Or is it sufficient if this is in the CV only?
Also I think that awards only need to be listed in the CV. You can also provide brief details/descriptions about the awards in the CV. However, if you want to expand on those awards in more depth, then it is appropriate to mention them in the SOP. It just depends on how relevant they are to what you're writing about.

For example, if you are discussing research you worked on in the SoP and you won an award for that research, including that detail in the SoP makes sense. It also would make sense to talk about an award that is highly significant to your future research or needs more explaining than the description in the CV. Spending time talking about something that you already covered fully in the CV that isn't highly relevant is probably redundant, on the other hand.