A year's gap and physics (hep) graduate application

tihr

A year's gap and physics (hep) graduate application

Post by tihr » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:02 am

Hello,

I have graduated from one of the best Indian universities, with a GPA of 3.4/4 with a bachelors+masters in Physics. I had applied for a graduate position in a few US universities last year in the field of theoretical high energy physics, but couldn't get in. This year my paper's got published in Physical Review D in October. However, I am officially not attached to a physics program anywhere since July.

So, my question is: How much does a gap of a year weigh against a recent paper in PRD in getting selected in a good US university? Do you know of someone who could get into a grad school after a break of a year or more, while being detached officially from physics? How did such a person justify the gap in her/his SOP? The universities that I'm thinking about are: UMich Ann Arbor, UMaryland, UChicago, UCSB, UCSD, Yale, etc.

Thanks in advance.

T.R.

adamyos

Re: A year's gap and physics (hep) graduate application

Post by adamyos » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:27 am

Hey!

Your description exactly sounds like my story. And I can tell you that you have nothing to worry about with respect to the "gap", if you've actually done some research since last year when you applied. I also graduated with a dual degree in Physics + Engg. (from BITS, Pilani because I feel you may be a BITSian. Or maybe not.). And I too applied last year in theoretical physics and didn't get anywhere. Reapplying this year and my application has significantly changed since last year. I think (hope) that reflects positively as that shows I've worked the past year instead of passing time.

And I think with a paper in PRD, you do have a good chance in top 20-30 univs (can't say more accurately than that as admissions are a little random and depend on a lot of other factors).

I hope it helps. All the Best! <Thumbs Up>

EDIT: I also haven't been attached to any physics program officially since my graduation in May 2015. Though, I have been working with a Professor ever since.

tihr

Post by tihr » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:26 am

Thank you Adamyos!

Yes, it definitely helped. I have also been working with a professor, so I guess it should be okay. I sure hope too that the work I did since last year reflects positively.

Wish you all the best for the applications!

T.R.

adamyos

Post by adamyos » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:57 am

Good. :)

All the best to you too!