Mentioning shortcoming in grades?

uhurulol

Mentioning shortcoming in grades?

Post by uhurulol » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:11 pm

Hi everyone,

I've heard if your grades are lower than you expect the average to be, it may be advisable to offer a brief explanation in your statement. I have a lower GPA (PHY 3.22, OVR 3.11), and I think I should just mention it briefly. Some of the programs I'm applying to have Master's degrees as well -- should I mention in this section that I would be willing to begin in that program to demonstrate my ability to do the coursework? I've heard of this happening at various universities before.

Thanks in advance.

PathIntegrals92

Re: Mentioning shortcoming in grades?

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:03 pm

You should only explain grades if you have physics grades 2.7 and below. There's no point in explaining otherwise. Highlight your accomplishments and achievements.

It won't be a good thing if every physics grade you got is a 3.0, but I think it's only worth explaining if you have some learning disability or some health issue.

uhurulol

Re: Mentioning shortcoming in grades?

Post by uhurulol » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:27 pm

I do have severe ADD that went untreated for 3.5 years of my college education. Should that be something I mention? I figured that should be left out, as they may be less inclined to accept someone with a learning disability. I don't know if that's true, though.