University of Maryland Statement of Purpose vs Supplement

physicsisphun

University of Maryland Statement of Purpose vs Supplement

Post by physicsisphun » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:32 am

So I was filling out my application for UMD and I came across a little issue.

There is a standard statement of purpose with the prompt

"Write a brief (1000‐2000 word) statement addressing the following two questions:
What are your reasons for undertaking graduate study at the University of Maryland, College Park? Indicate, if appropriate any specific areas
of research interest. You may wish to discuss past work in your intended field or allied fields, your plans for a professional career, or
how you developed your interest in or knowledge of your chosen subject.

What life experiences have prepared you to pursue a graduate degree at a large and diverse institution such as the University of Maryland? Among the
items you might care to include would be your financial, community
and family background, or whether you are the first person in your family to pursuehigher education or any other factors that you believe would contribute to the diversity of our academic community. You may also wish to give the graduate admissions committee some examples of your determination to purse your goals, your initiative and ability to develop ideas, and/or your
capacity for working through problems independently."

But there is also a physics supplement with the question

"Please write about your goals and your research interests in physics. In addition, tell us about any research experiences you have had. (Please note: this is different from your Statement of Purpose.)"

I'm very confused. I also need to throw this together in 36 hours. How is the second prompt not a sub question of the first?

TakeruK

Re: University of Maryland Statement of Purpose vs Supplement

Post by TakeruK » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:13 pm

The second prompt is a sub-question of the first. I think the first prompt is a university wide prompt and the second is for physics department only. You can have some items overlap in these two responses because the first one is supposed to address why you would be a good graduate student in this program. The second prompt is specifically about your research experience and goals only, nothing about you as a person. The "Please Note" in the prompt is supposed to let you know that you should not be submitting the same essay to answer both questions.

physicsisphun

Re: University of Maryland Statement of Purpose vs Supplement

Post by physicsisphun » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Thanks alot. Luckily I should have enough to Frankenstein together in time. :P