Any suggestions on Personal HISTORY Statement? HELP WANTED.

Robbie

Any suggestions on Personal HISTORY Statement? HELP WANTED.

Post by Robbie » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:29 am

Some UC series schools require personal history statement.

I've already write a SOP, but how do I write a personal history statement? Any suggestions?

I just don't know what to include.

deterministic devil

Re: Any suggestions on Personal HISTORY Statement? HELP WANTED.

Post by deterministic devil » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:34 am

In this case, just separate your SOP into two parts:1. SOP should cover only your current goal, future research plan, and why and what you want to study at that university. All other personal background info should go to PHS.

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:37 pm

deterministic devil wrote:In this case, just separate your SOP into two parts:1. SOP should cover only your current goal, future research plan, and why and what you want to study at that university. All other personal background info should go to PHS.
wouldn't that sop you described be incomplete and bad?

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:16 am

Robbie wrote:
deterministic devil wrote:In this case, just separate your SOP into two parts:1. SOP should cover only your current goal, future research plan, and why and what you want to study at that university. All other personal background info should go to PHS.
wouldn't that sop you described be incomplete and bad?
I don't think that SOP would be incomplete. Especially when there is a Personal History Statement (PHS) request, you should write your SOP solely about your professional (research) experience, and leave out all the details about your personal life. You can and should discuss your career-related background info such as your academic experience, your research experience, and how these things have prepared you for graduate study. But other personal info that are not related to your work should go in the PHS.

aquirdturtle

Post by aquirdturtle » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:17 pm

I'm working through the same type of thing right now.

For me it depends on the school and the phrasing of said "personal history" statement. A lot schools are pretty clearly looking for you to discuss minority status, economic issues, ect. that have affected your education. Being a white mid-upper class male, I don't have much of that, so I keep those personal statements relatively short and just talk about whats unique about my family and upbringing. I usually pull my "how I got into physics" comments from a more general personal statement and make them a bit more involved for a statement like this. As a result, my personal statements sometimes start with a little less of an introduction, but I think it turns out okay.

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:42 pm

aquirdturtle wrote:I'm working through the same type of thing right now.

For me it depends on the school and the phrasing of said "personal history" statement. A lot schools are pretty clearly looking for you to discuss minority status, economic issues, ect. that have affected your education. Being a white mid-upper class male, I don't have much of that, so I keep those personal statements relatively short and just talk about whats unique about my family and upbringing. I usually pull my "how I got into physics" comments from a more general personal statement and make them a bit more involved for a statement like this. As a result, my personal statements sometimes start with a little less of an introduction, but I think it turns out okay.
do u know what is the meaning of 'minority status, economic issues, etc. that have affected your education'

nik

Post by nik » Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:32 pm

Robbie wrote:Some UC series schools require personal history statement.

I've already write a SOP, but how do I write a personal history statement? Any suggestions?

Which schools need them, by the way? Can u please name those?

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:24 pm

nik wrote:
Robbie wrote:Some UC series schools require personal history statement.

Which schools need them, by the way? Can u please name those?
I list them but that doesn't mean that I apply to those:

UC Berkeley, UC Davis, UC Riverside, U. Mich. etc.

Catria

Post by Catria » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:30 am

Add to that Minnesota and Yale...

Aether73

Post by Aether73 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:09 am

Writing diversity statements without diversity is tricky.

Robbie wrote: do u know what is the meaning of 'minority status, economic issues, etc. that have affected your education'
As an international student you'd be a minority in the US. I don't know what your economic status is, but if you come from a low income family you can mention it (bonus points if you describe how you managed to overcome it to receive your education). The key question is whether or not your race/nationality/socioeconomic status has made it more difficult for you to receive an education.

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:54 pm

Aether73 wrote:

Writing diversity statements without diversity is tricky.

Robbie wrote: do u know what is the meaning of 'minority status, economic issues, etc. that have affected your education'
As an international student you'd be a minority in the US. I don't know what your economic status is, but if you come from a low income family you can mention it (bonus points if you describe how you managed to overcome it to receive your education). The key question is whether or not your race/nationality/socioeconomic status has made it more difficult for you to receive an education.

your reply is very helpful. do you know how important is PHS? I've heard that Chinese don't add to the diversity in the US 'cause there are too many Chinese, so PHS is completely nonsense, is that correct? How could the poorness and striving hard actually serve as bonus points?

Robbie

Post by Robbie » Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:00 am

I just found out that your answer sounds very right.