non-physics research projects in sop -Math and Computer sci

instrument.santosh

non-physics research projects in sop -Math and Computer sci

Post by instrument.santosh » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:00 am

Hey guys,

apart from 3 research projects in physics, i have done few research projects like -
1) statistical mathematics
2) mixed tensor model to use in analysis indian music system (which has good potential to turn into a research paper/field)
3) an handwriting recognizing and machine learning algorithm project

would it be okay to mention these projects in my SOP ? i guess now its about 1.25 pages without mentioning about them.

And also, am working in 2 astrophysics project this winter (december) and again, would it be okay to add these 2 projects too along with the others ?

Thanks for the help !

instrument.santosh

Re: non-physics research projects in sop -Math and Computer sci

Post by instrument.santosh » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:07 pm

anyone ??
would really help me a lot

uhurulol

Re: non-physics research projects in sop -Math and Computer sci

Post by uhurulol » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:13 pm

In my humble opinion, I'd say you can discuss them VERY briefly in your SOP. Don't put a ton of attention on them at all. Maybe squeeze all of them into one paragraph, essentially outlining all of the other awesome cool research you've done in your spare time. But you wanna concentrate on REALLY highlighting your applicable research interests, and as such any other information added to the paper will detract from that.

If any of the aformentioned research was done with one of your letter writers, it may be best to have them mention it in your letter instead of in your SOP. It'll sound more like icing on the cake that way, rather than something you're trying to highlight yourself.