Mentioning a professor?

Sats

Mentioning a professor?

Post by Sats » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:06 pm

Hello all.

In my junior year I got a C in second semester electromagnetism (Bad final dropped me by 2 letter grades). After consulting some other faculty, I was advised to mention this in my statement of purpose since he was a lecturer, and not a professor (He has a BS, but nothing higher).

Have any of you heard of/dealt with this? This grade is my only poor grade in physics and it's really worrying me.

Do you think it's a good idea to point this out?

Thanks all,
Sats

PathIntegrals92

Re: Mentioning a professor?

Post by PathIntegrals92 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:50 pm

I have a friend who has dealt with this and my friend was admitted to a very good school and is already a second year now.

My friend's advice:
Have your Letter Writer's discuss this! Talk to the people who are writing your recommendation and tell them about the grade and even though it was a bad grade it doesn't mean that you did not grasp the material etc. ( whatever your reason is). You said the rest of your grades are good, so that is a good thing.

The reason my friend said it is better the Letter Writer mentions this is because you didn't receive these low marks because of some seriously illness or health problems. You writing it will not excuse you. It will probably be viewed more positively (i can't think of a better way to say it) if your recommender writes because he or she will also have a lot of good things to say about you as well.

**Good Luck with everthing**

aquirdturtle

Re: Mentioning a professor?

Post by aquirdturtle » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:08 pm

If you mention it, make sure that you don't sound like you are blaming the professor for your performance. Make sure that it still sounds positive, be brief, and move on.

Kennethst

Mentioning a professor

Post by Kennethst » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:21 pm

I guess its not that big of a deal, but I think my problem is that I just dont get it. Like, whats the rationale behind it?