Resume -- Relevant work only?

blackmass

Resume -- Relevant work only?

Post by blackmass » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:41 am

I couldn't seem to find an answer to this question directly, so forgive me if it's been asked before. I was just wondering if a resume should contain only relevant work, ie. technical and research experience?

On the one hand, I can see how it's not at all relevant and should be excluded, but on the other hand, I think it shows work ethic and discipline. That being said, it'll definitely make the resume longer than it probably ought to be...

Any ideas?

TakeruK

Re: Resume -- Relevant work only?

Post by TakeruK » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:23 am

Yes, only include relevant work (unless you have no such work).

I worked at a warehouse for a couple of summers to pay for tuition and I did not include this in my CV. I don't think graduate schools care that you can show work ethic and discipline from these types of part-time/temporary jobs because your transcript, LORs, and relevant work experience can already demonstrate this.

However, if you followed a different career path for some time after high school, then I think it's worth including. Maybe you were a trucker between high school and college (or after college, or took a break in college to do some other career etc.) Then, I think you should include this so that you fill in the gaps but also because it makes you a much more interesting candidate and following a different career in the past can bring you some experience and perspective that is valued.

blackmass

Post by blackmass » Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:05 am

Ok, yeah, that makes sense. Thanks for the reply!

Donavan

Post by Donavan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:00 am

Hi.

So sorry for re-opening this topic, but because I've a relevant question along these lines.

Say, besides doing Physics research, I spent time outside analysing, say, non-Physics problems from a scientific point of view, or was involved in seemingly unrelated activity that I feel could complement my application because of the commonality of applying a Physics approach in examining the problem at hand.

In that case, should I write it in the resume, or should I just make use of one of the letters of recommendation to highlight this ability?

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:03 am

Donavan wrote:Hi.

So sorry for re-opening this topic, but because I've a relevant question along these lines.

Say, besides doing Physics research, I spent time outside analysing, say, non-Physics problems from a scientific point of view, or was involved in seemingly unrelated activity that I feel could complement my application because of the commonality of applying a Physics approach in examining the problem at hand.

In that case, should I write it in the resume, or should I just make use of one of the letters of recommendation to highlight this ability?
I think I answered this for you in a different thread :)