Double trouble with SOP: NEED HELP

sumith85

Double trouble with SOP: NEED HELP

Post by sumith85 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Hello

I am really confused about the SOP. I would like to go for Condensed Matter Physics, but I do not have any research experience. Whatever I do I know my SOP is not going to be a good one. But still can any one advise me on how to cut my losses and put up a presentable SOP? Under the circumstances what can make my SOP a little better?

By the way I have my BS in Physics from Bangladesh.

grae313

Re: Double trouble with SOP: NEED HELP

Post by grae313 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:49 pm

sumith85 wrote:Hello

I am really confused about the SOP. I would like to go for Condensed Matter Physics, but I do not have any research experience. Whatever I do I know my SOP is not going to be a good one. But still can any one advise me on how to cut my losses and put up a presentable SOP? Under the circumstances what can make my SOP a little better?

By the way I have my BS in Physics from Bangladesh.
You should speak about any events that demonstrate your ability to do independent work. Though you may not have done actual research, perhaps you did some projects for classes. Describe any advanced physics classes you did well in. Highlight any instances where you were creative or did something extra and try to draw out from these instances the ways in which they helped prepare you for graduate school. If you did any teaching or grading or tutoring you can highlight this as well. Avoid spending more than a short part of a paragraph on your childhood or the origins of your interest in physics. Admissions committees are looking for specific and relevant examples that show your abilities and preparation in physics.