Resume/CV

Seen

Resume/CV

Post by Seen » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:20 pm

Some schools (Michigan, Texas, maybe some others) require a resume or a CV. Does anyone know what they expect here? How long it should be? What type of stuff should be on it? What should it look like? I feel like I don't have that much to put on a CV and most of the stuff I would put on there I would talk about in my SOP also.

It seems kind of sad that I'm struggling to come up with half a page for this, but it would also look bad if I put down a lot of irrelevant stuff.

Helio

Re: Resume/CV

Post by Helio » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:26 pm

1-page max
Present Address, Permanent Adress
Objective
Education
Research Experience
Technical Experience
Honours
Other Activities

That is basically how mine looks

nonick

Post by nonick » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:42 pm

Are you sure that the CV has to be one page max?
I know that is the case for the resume, but I thought that there is no limit for the CV.
I have both a CV and a resume, and the main difference between them is that the first is 2 pages and the second is only 1. I was thinking to send the CV, since it has more details about my work and my accomplishements.

Helio

Post by Helio » Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:50 pm

Well most schools say 1-2 pages max. I would say 1 page should suffice

sterculus

Post by sterculus » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:10 pm

Mine is ~2 pages. I used the extra page to add a bit of detail about what I did on different research projects, which might not be entirely "traditional" but is helpful, I think.

nonick

Post by nonick » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:21 pm

sterculus wrote:Mine is ~2 pages. I used the extra page to add a bit of detail about what I did on different research projects, which might not be entirely "traditional" but is helpful, I think.
Same for me.

tmc

Post by tmc » Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:09 pm

2 pages here as well

Don't worry about the length so much, as long as you say everything concisely. If you don't have much to put on there, don't try to make it look longer, but if you have a lot to say, there's no point it trying to fit it all in one page.

Helio

Post by Helio » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:30 am

I dunno I have a lot of things to say, but still only one page... maybe the advantage of LaTex

secander2!

Post by secander2! » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:29 am

I applied last year to Michigan (was accepted) and had a 2.5 page CV. On it I had:

Education (listed schools I attended and degrees obtained)
Job Experience (list jobs/research and brief descriptions of what I did)
Awards and Honors (self-explanatory)
Papers and Talks (self-explanatory)
Computer Experience (I've done a lot with computers so I basically gave a laundry list of what languages I've used and in what capacity)
Hobbies and Interests (self-explanatory)
Languages (self-explanatory)

Mine was probably a bit longer than they care to read, but I think it was well organized and it worked so whatever.

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:38 pm

UC SB also wants a CV, but doesn't give a length limit. My CV is long (~3-4 pages) because I did 4 research projects and have done ~10 presentations and have my 2 "publications" and have some nice awards... is that too long? It's organized nicely...

I just don't know what I wouldn't include, since it's all physics related. And also, for clarification, a CV typically has no length restriction, whereas a resume should be only 1 page.

Helio

Post by Helio » Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:59 pm

Some schools have a restriction (I think OSU had one) I mean as long as it is physics related it should be fine. I dunno I have three projects and it is still only a page long

mhazelm

Post by mhazelm » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:07 pm

Maybe I should say less about each. I listed the project, the advisor, and a few sentences describing the project. Is it better to just list the project titles?

tmc

Post by tmc » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:40 pm

You should be able to bring it down to 2 pages; I have more stuff than you and describe my projects quite well, and I'm under 2 pages.

4 projects @ 5 lines each, 1-2 lines per publication, 1 line per award, and some white space to make it look good. 3 pages is too much for an undergrad.

Helio

Post by Helio » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:53 pm

I basically used what tmc says I got it down to 1, i think you will be able to make it to 2

jsmith15686

Post by jsmith15686 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:23 am

i have 2 page CV n i m fresher so i will work but if i have lot more experience than i will not work , i required only 1 page cv for perfect jon, and the requirements in this cv is only poit out of the topics, it doesnt need full details so just poit out or make under line on important topic.

blackcat007

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:33 am

jsmith15686 wrote:i have 2 page CV n i m fresher so i will work but if i have lot more experience than i will not work , i required only 1 page cv for perfect jon, and the requirements in this cv is only poit out of the topics, it doesnt need full details so just poit out or make under line on important topic.
Is this any other variation of the English language I don't know about? or may be its time to say goodbye to your keyboard :roll:

kap09c

Post by kap09c » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Helio wrote:1-page max
Present Address, Permanent Adress
Objective
Education
Research Experience
Technical Experience
Honours
Other Activities

That is basically how mine looks

I seriously disagree with the one page thing. Mines 3 and there's no way to limit it at this point, and 2-3 is average for undergraduates who kept themselves busy

Donavan

Post by Donavan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:13 am

Hi.

Sorry to bump this topic again, because I wanted to ask about resumes/CVs.

How much explanation should I really give each research project I did, and if so, would saying what I did, the advisor, and what resulted from said work be enough?

Also, if I have a strong outside interest that may not directly relate to Physics, but I think could highlight myself as of an analytical thinker through a different perspective, how much should I keep it to? (For this case, I am referring, to say, participation in public policy debates and analysing the issues from a more qualitiative aspect, but it retains the aspect of understanding fundamentals, obtaining results with approximated error bounds, obtaining a range of plausible solutions after factoring in constraints.)

What if I have structured a course and taught it before (say, compiled a set of notes and delivered some lessons in using LaTeX through a small-group setting of physicists, chemists and biologists).

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:02 am

Donavan wrote: How much explanation should I really give each research project I did, and if so, would saying what I did, the advisor, and what resulted from said work be enough?
I put two or three bullet points about each experience, listing what I did and what resulted from it (publications? presentations? reports? etc.)
Donavan wrote: Also, if I have a strong outside interest that may not directly relate to Physics, but I think could highlight myself as of an analytical thinker through a different perspective, how much should I keep it to? (For this case, I am referring, to say, participation in public policy debates and analysing the issues from a more qualitiative aspect, but it retains the aspect of understanding fundamentals, obtaining results with approximated error bounds, obtaining a range of plausible solutions after factoring in constraints.)
I would list this under "extracurriculars" or "other activities" etc. Don't put too much emphasis on it. Extracurriculars are nice and worth 1 line on your CV for grad school, but they are not going to be a very important part of your application.
Donavan wrote: What if I have structured a course and taught it before (say, compiled a set of notes and delivered some lessons in using LaTeX through a small-group setting of physicists, chemists and biologists).
I would list this under a "teaching" section or "extracurricular", whatever is more appropriate. Be clear on whether it's an actual university course that students took for credit or if it's a workshop/student-led thing. And be clear on what your role in that course was (TA? head instructor? assistant instructor?)

Donavan

Post by Donavan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:17 pm

TakeruK wrote:
Donavan wrote: How much explanation should I really give each research project I did, and if so, would saying what I did, the advisor, and what resulted from said work be enough?
I put two or three bullet points about each experience, listing what I did and what resulted from it (publications? presentations? reports? etc.)
Donavan wrote: Also, if I have a strong outside interest that may not directly relate to Physics, but I think could highlight myself as of an analytical thinker through a different perspective, how much should I keep it to? (For this case, I am referring, to say, participation in public policy debates and analysing the issues from a more qualitiative aspect, but it retains the aspect of understanding fundamentals, obtaining results with approximated error bounds, obtaining a range of plausible solutions after factoring in constraints.)
I would list this under "extracurriculars" or "other activities" etc. Don't put too much emphasis on it. Extracurriculars are nice and worth 1 line on your CV for grad school, but they are not going to be a very important part of your application.
Donavan wrote: What if I have structured a course and taught it before (say, compiled a set of notes and delivered some lessons in using LaTeX through a small-group setting of physicists, chemists and biologists).
I would list this under a "teaching" section or "extracurricular", whatever is more appropriate. Be clear on whether it's an actual university course that students took for credit or if it's a workshop/student-led thing. And be clear on what your role in that course was (TA? head instructor? assistant instructor?)
Hi TakeruK.

Thanks for answering!

Hmmmm, thanks! Hmmmm... I realised that I have some research experience from sophomore year, went on a student exchange (but didn't exactly manage to do much research). How important is it to emphasise certain aspects of research (such as having little to no supervision), certain specific skills learnt during courses which are not expected? (e.g. learning finite element analysis from a course that normally doesn't require it, but self-learnt it to fulfil, say, a project component.)

TakeruK

Post by TakeruK » Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:01 am

Don't write about the level of supervision. It can sound like you are writing a negative review of your supervisor.

Also, I would not include courses on a CV so I don't think it makes sense to write about skills you learned beyond the course requirements.

However, I think it would be a good idea to have a section to be explicit about all your skills. List that there instead. It doesn't matter whether you learned the skill yourself or in a course, what matters is that you know the skill.