SOP for Masters

Supratik Sarkar

SOP for Masters

Post by Supratik Sarkar » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:07 pm

Hi there,
I have a little doubt about writing my SOP. Should I mention the professors/groups in the department whose work has motivated me and under whom/which I would possibly want to work during my Masters?
Any help will be appreciated. :)

fznfire

Re: SOP for Masters

Post by fznfire » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:14 am

At Wesleyan (where we have the best Master's program in US in astronomy :p) this is frowned upon, or so my professor said. But again, if you have had some strong research background, you will definitely show a preference to one field or the other!

At Master's level, it is good idea to have a exploring spirit, because as undergraduate we will not be exposed to all of the lines of research out there. In fact Ph D programs wants their student to do some diverse projects so get a broader base for their future research.

TakeruK

Re: SOP for Masters

Post by TakeruK » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:02 am

I think it's okay to mention them but you should be sure to not commit yourself or make it sound like you already made up your mind on exactly what you want to do. The only exception is the rare case where you already have an agreement with the professor to work with them if they get admitted.

Actually, what country are you applying to? Masters programs are especially different from country to country.