Spring deadline are about to end, someone please critique my SOP as soon as possible, Big Thanks in advance.

AnilKamat

Spring deadline are about to end, someone please critique my SOP as soon as possible, Big Thanks in advance.

Post by AnilKamat » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:22 am

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
Anil Kumar Kamat

I am applying to master program in physics at **** University to work on quantum mechanics. I want my master degree to be the base standing on which I will pursue my Ph.D. and do researches in quantum gravity with an ultimate aim of solving the problems of string theory. I yearn to reach my full potential as an independent researcher in the future. One of my highest aspirations is to become the head of my own research lab at an academic institution. I intend to be a mentor for young students from underprivileged backgrounds and encourage their active involvement in physics research. I also believe that on my way to achieve my goal, I will communicate my interests and manifest my talents which could contribute to the welfare of global scientific society.
It has been my inner desire to pursue a career in physics since my childhood when my science teacher used to tell captivating stories about scientists and their inventions. However, due to unstable social and economic condition of our country, my parents could not let me study B.Sc. in physics. At the end, I had to study bachelor in engineering which is considered to have a bright career in our society. But, now that I have got a chance to study physics I want to do it more than anything. I am fully aware of the fact that I may not have studied many laws and principles of mathematics and physics but with my strong determination and help from my professors and friends, I would cover them. I do believe my bachelor degree in mechanical engineering would help me to understand and approach physical problem in different way than usual.
Driven by my strong desire to study physics, even after being involved in engineering, I used to go the library to read higher physics focusing on relativity and quantum mechanics. I used to note down various ideas that came to my mind like “what would happen if …..” and then later at home, I used to formulate them. In addition, from the very first year of my baccalaureate I started a physics page named “Physics Facts and Discussion” which focuses on discussion of the recent discoveries. Now, we are a family of more than 5000 members.
I have taught as a part-time Physics teacher for four years during sessions in “***** Foundation”. While teaching, my efforts are always to make the class interactive. I try to provoke everyone to participate in the discussion in this way they will have their presence of mind in class. I have always encouraged my students to read the subject matter prior appearing in the class so that we can have intellect discussion on the topic. This method has really helped students as they say. Teaching has really helped me to understand the matters in more profound way at the same time it has also improved my public speaking and communication skills.
In my third year, I was a prime contributor for designing a badminton playing robot for my college to participate in “ABU Robocon 2015, Indonesia”, fortunately, we received two awards for the design. Furthermore, to get acquaintance with simulation and modeling, I did a one-month internship at **** Pvt. Ltd. The internship was concentrated on learning the basics of CATIA and Particle Method for computational fluid dynamic analysis. The title of our final year project is “Development of Mathematical Model for 2-Pot Enclosed Mud Cookstove and its Experimental Validation” which focuses more on the theoretical aspect of the physical processes. We used “MATLAB” as the modelling tool to combine all the physical phenomenon taking place during the operation of a cookstove. The final model was a systematic amalgam of diverse physical processes like combustion of wood, flow of flue gases, heat transfer and viscosity. Finally, we were able to develop the acceptable model and a revised -paper has been submitted for publication in Elsevier.
It was last year when I got elected as a project coordinator for a nationwide mechanical exhibition “National Mechanical Engineering Exhibition 2072”. It was a great experience. I was the leader of this department and we were able to persuade three major universities to participate with their innovative projects which were hard because the participation was voluntary. I trained about 30 exhibitors from these universities for two days in which I mainly focused on increasing their delivering skill, making the presentation concise and poster presentation. I learned that scheduling and constant communication are key components of coordination for any project.
I think****** University would be a perfect place for me to nourish my intellect for the accomplishment of my goal because of veteran faculty, their researches, constructive learning environment, use of cutting edge technology and financial support provided. The courses offered like electromagnetic theory (I, II), quantum physics and mechanics (I, II) and field theory, high energy physics, relativity etc. perfectly align with my inclination. Moreover, I look forward to study quantum physics and relativity to do research from the very beginning of my classes. There are many professors whose works are more than appealing. In particular, the researches done by Prof. ***** on quantum mechanics and cosmology are intriguing for me and I want to contribute to them. The work of **** on the Electromagnetic Theory and Modern Physics are other works that attract me to apply at ***. These researches would be a great help for me to enrich my knowledge because I would be with the real researcher who knows very inside of their work. These researches hugely motivate me to do related work in a deeper level. The **** University also provides many unique students-welfare facilities. I really appreciate the Provision of “Division of Research”. It will greatly help me to do my research through its expert service and grant management. Moreover, with facilities like faculty advisor and Students Success Center, I could make a good academic progress and personal development. Similarly, the Student Support Services would help me to reach my goal. It would be a privilege to be a part of Physics department at the *** University and work under the guidance of its wonderful faculty.