GRE AWA writing scores

enchede

GRE AWA writing scores

Post by enchede » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:27 pm

How important are these scores?
I didn't do too well and wondering if my 4.5 score is too low e for my top three schools - Princeton, Caltech and Stanford.
My Quant/Verbal scores are 800 and 740.
Appreciate your thoughts, opinions and experiences.
Thanks.

quizivex

Post by quizivex » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:35 am

oh geez, it depresses me to see someone else is worried about his 4.5 on the writing section. When I took the test, I too smashed the math/verbal 800/<deleted for anonymity>, and I was really hoping for a 6 on the writing and I was very confident with my essays. When I got my 5.5 in the mail I was disappointed, so I requested a rescore, figuring someone else would grade it and maybe I'd get lucky, or if not I'd get the same 5.5 score back and lose $45, no big deal...

I was stunned when I got a 4.5 back in the mail, for all the obvious reasons. After being given scores of inaccurate and contradictory information by ETS operators and experiencing so many equally absurd academic mishaps at my college, I gave up even trying to understand these types of things, let alone influence them.

I have no idea what effect this will have on either of our applications, but I just hope that such a subjective, fickle and unreliable assessment of our abilities by ETS does not compromise either of our futures.
Last edited by quizivex on Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

grae313

Post by grae313 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:16 am

Plenty of people get in to those schools with that kind of score. It's not worth retaking it or asking for a rescore, IMO. You're fine. Especially if you have a very well-written SOP and good research experience.

enchede

thanks!

Post by enchede » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:31 am

thanks for responding people, I've decided retaking is not worth the effort and the risk.