2017 graduate application chances with poor PGRE

bambino

2017 graduate application chances with poor PGRE

Post by bambino » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:46 am

% here stands for percentile

Myself an international graduate applicant for the fall of 2017. I have obtained an abysmal 740 (59%) score in PGRE. Does this mean nothing can be done now ? I have decent enough research experience. So highly confused.

I am posting my profile here for your reference. Any help and I would be highly obliged.

General GRE:
Quant 166(91%)
Verbal 151(51%)
AWA 3.5(42%)

Physics GRE
740(59%)

TOEFL 115/120 ( Speaking 28 and 29 in all the rest )

Research Experience:
Three summer research projects (one foreign internship) with two pre-prints published on arxiv. One among them has been submitted to The Astrophysical Journal (ApJ).

Interested in Gravitational Wave Astrophysics and have worked with 4 members of the LIGO Scientific Collaboration part of Laser Interferometer Gravitational Wave Observatory (LIGO) that detected Gravitational Waves. ( 2 LORs from LIGO members)

Based on my project, I received student membership to LIGO for a span from June 2016 - December 2016

Universities: (All have LIGO member groups)

University of Maryland, College Park (Physics)
University of Michigan, Ann-Arbor (Physics)
Carnegie Mellon University (Physics)
Louisiana State University (Physics)
Washington State University (Physics)
Syracuse University (Physics)
Caltech (Physics)
Rochester Institute of Technology (Physics)
Penn State University (Astronomy)
University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee (Physics)

zhutchens1

Re: 2017 graduate application chances with poor PGRE

Post by zhutchens1 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:11 am

One idea you should have is to look into schools that do not require the physics GRE. I'm planning on doing astrophysics, primarily interested in gravitation, cosmology, and compact stars. Astronomy departments don't seem to care as much about PGRE, so you can definitely just find some that don't require it or just have low standards. Two very well-regarded programs, Georgia Tech and Toronto, do not require the PGRE. Many others, such as Michigan State, do require but have lower standards. You may be hindered in getting accepted to very prestigious programs like College Park.