Pretty Bad pGRE scores :(

lilypuppet
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:09 am

Pretty Bad pGRE scores :(

Postby lilypuppet » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:07 am

General scores are fine : v 154 q 170 writing 3.0
However, my pGRE scores are pretty bad like 42% and my undergraduate major is nuclear engineering :(.
Don't have time to retake the subject test :( .
I don't know. Maybe I should I apply to schools like Florida Institute of Technology, Southern Methodist University and University of Idaho?
I really suck at picking majors. Should not have picked nuclear engineering and maybe now I should quit physics and apply for some art history master program as my mom suggested. But I love building detectors and the whole data analysis thing. :oops: BTW, will the pGRE scores threshold be a little lower for girls?

areyouhavingcats
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Sep 20, 2015 12:57 pm

Re: Pretty Bad pGRE scores :(

Postby areyouhavingcats » Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:15 pm

It really depends on the rest of your application whether or not the pgre score will be good enough. Do you have research experience/how is your gpa? I had a pretty mediocre pgre score and managed to get into 4/6 schools- don't trust the stats from this website its definitely skewed to students who get better scores. I know people who got in places with scores in the 500's so don't be too worried.

Also its been shown that female students with the same background/abilities tend to do worse on the pgre so I wouldn't be surprised if schools take that into consideration when looking at scores. (also most people agree that the pgre doesn't really determine whether or not you'll be successful in graduate school so don't be too focused on your score)

lilypuppet
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:09 am

Re: Pretty Bad pGRE scores :(

Postby lilypuppet » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:18 am

areyouhavingcats wrote:It really depends on the rest of your application whether or not the pgre score will be good enough. Do you have research experience/how is your gpa? I had a pretty mediocre pgre score and managed to get into 4/6 schools- don't trust the stats from this website its definitely skewed to students who get better scores. I know people who got in places with scores in the 500's so don't be too worried.

Also its been shown that female students with the same background/abilities tend to do worse on the pgre so I wouldn't be surprised if schools take that into consideration when looking at scores. (also most people agree that the pgre doesn't really determine whether or not you'll be successful in graduate school so don't be too focused on your score)

Thanks for the information. I will try to apply for some physics programs :D

Catria
Posts: 353
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

Re: Pretty Bad pGRE scores :(

Postby Catria » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:28 pm

lilypuppet wrote:
areyouhavingcats wrote:It really depends on the rest of your application whether or not the pgre score will be good enough. Do you have research experience/how is your gpa? I had a pretty mediocre pgre score and managed to get into 4/6 schools- don't trust the stats from this website its definitely skewed to students who get better scores. I know people who got in places with scores in the 500's so don't be too worried.

Also its been shown that female students with the same background/abilities tend to do worse on the pgre so I wouldn't be surprised if schools take that into consideration when looking at scores. (also most people agree that the pgre doesn't really determine whether or not you'll be successful in graduate school so don't be too focused on your score)

Thanks for the information. I will try to apply for some physics programs :D


Now that we know that you want to do instrumentation or data analysis, I may be wondering whether you would prefer doing that in astronomy or HEP-EX.

lilypuppet
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:09 am

Re: Pretty Bad pGRE scores :(

Postby lilypuppet » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:51 am

Catria wrote:
lilypuppet wrote:
areyouhavingcats wrote:It really depends on the rest of your application whether or not the pgre score will be good enough. Do you have research experience/how is your gpa? I had a pretty mediocre pgre score and managed to get into 4/6 schools- don't trust the stats from this website its definitely skewed to students who get better scores. I know people who got in places with scores in the 500's so don't be too worried.

Also its been shown that female students with the same background/abilities tend to do worse on the pgre so I wouldn't be surprised if schools take that into consideration when looking at scores. (also most people agree that the pgre doesn't really determine whether or not you'll be successful in graduate school so don't be too focused on your score)

Thanks for the information. I will try to apply for some physics programs :D


Now that we know that you want to do instrumentation or data analysis, I may be wondering whether you would prefer doing that in astronomy or HEP-EX.

I am more interested in HEP-EX but my research experience is more related to astroparticle physics. Astronomy seems too difficult for me :oops:




Return to “Tests and Scores”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest