General GRE Score

shootmewithproton

General GRE Score

Post by shootmewithproton » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:01 pm

Hey guys.

I am new to this forum so I don't know whether this place is appropriate to put a general GRE post. Let me know if there is a sub thread for that... then I will move it.

Anyways, I recently took a general one and I got 158 verbal and 161 math... I did not study at all and just took. After the test, I thought I would be able to score better since I know how the exams are and I know what area I need to study... especially on math since I realized how much I forgot about statistics.

What do you think about this score? I am thinking about pursuing medical physics and top choice for me is MD Anderson Cancer center... their avg GRE score is 161verbal and 163 math.... little low on both but close enough.

Catria

Re: General GRE Score

Post by Catria » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:36 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong but general GRE is used, in conjunction to the GPA, to make a first cut, and it holds less weight afterward.

bfollinprm

Post by bfollinprm » Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:48 pm

I wouldn't stress about it, but if you have time, you might retake it. Medical physics programs don't always require the PGRE, so the GRE score will be more important to you than to more traditional physics applicants. If you have a good GPA, you're certainly close enough to the mean that it's not worth worrying about; if you're worried about parts of your application, it's probably the easiest part to improve (other than the personal statement, which no one has an excuse to not work to perfection).

shootmewithproton

Post by shootmewithproton » Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:59 pm

Thanks for your valuable inputs guys!

I do know that medical physics in general does not require PGRE but I was thinking about taking it and hoping to get good scores such that when my application is reviewed, my PGRE score would give them some other aspect to shine.

I actually talked to some faculties at MD Anderson today as I am a summer fellow there. The general impression I got was that they cannot definitively say it but it sounds like long as you are around the average ballpark area score, it's not worth to improve my scores. They only use it to filter out ppl who don't even make their minimum cut off GRE score (Again, NOT 100% ACCURATE, but JUST IMPRESSION).

drunkphysics

Post by drunkphysics » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:22 pm

shootmewithproton wrote: as long as you are around the average ballpark area score, it's not worth to improve my scores. They only use it to filter out ppl who don't even make their minimum cut off GRE score
I would have to agree with this. As long as you're around the 50th percentile of scores pertaining to your prospective field you should be fine, which you can find on the ETS website if you click around enough (under the understanding your scores link).

From personal experience, I talked to an admissions chair for a physics department, who told me the only cut off that particular school used was to have ~75th percentile (overall) on quantitative. For physics this is the 160-164 range, so I would think you would be ok for most institutions.

hope this helps.