M.Sc physics in USA without PGRE

Judas503

M.Sc physics in USA without PGRE

Post by Judas503 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:10 pm

I'm an undergraduate physics major from Bangladesh currently in my junior year. Recently I've been looking on the PGRE exams and I came to problem. The fact is that there is no centre in my country through which any subject GRE can be taken. My only option is taking it from nearby India or Nepal. While it's not a big problem from my part, I still ask is the PGRE absolutely necessary for getting into a M.Sc physics program in USA?

stengah

Re: M.Sc physics in USA without PGRE

Post by stengah » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:57 pm

There isn't really such a thing as an M.Sc. in physics in the USA. Nearly all schools will admit you to a Ph.D. program directly from your bachelors degree. Some schools will admit you just for a masters, but that usually means you would have to pay tuition. But if you are in the Ph.D. program, you don't have to pay tuition. So if your goal is to do a Ph.D. then just apply to Ph.D. programs.

There might be some bottom tier schools that don't *require* the PGRE, but I would strongly recommend you take it if at all possible so you can apply to schools that are more worth going to. I would be very hesitant to attend a physics program that didn't require the PGRE for admission (in the USA).

Judas503

Re: M.Sc physics in USA without PGRE

Post by Judas503 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:17 am

Yes, I'm aware of the fact that most students in USA go through grad school without obtaining a masters. I was going through University of Minnesota's physics site. Apparently, they have a masters program (with three tracks). They also mentioned that most students don't usually take a masters degree. But I get the gist now. I have to take the PGRE.

Thanks a lot!