Pretty Good
No votes
Pretty Poor
Hope and Pray
Total votes: 5

Canadian Applicant Applying to top 20 Schools

Postby rplestid » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:39 pm

I am applying to Columbia, Harvard, Chicago, Princeton, Caltech and MIT

I took the GRE and scored worse than I was hoping but I figured I would submit my applications any ways.

I have an honours thesis project currently underway, I worked at the University of Toronto this summer doing atmospheric physics research (programing in FORTRAN and using IDL). I am currently at the University of Guelph (medium sized research university). My average is 82.6 cumulative and 86.6 physics with a very sharp increase in grades in the past 4 semesters (82.6, 91.4, 89.7, and 93 (still pending)). My course work has been relatively comprehensive including Atomic and Molecular, Statistical Mechanics, Group Theory, Subatomic, and Solid-state courses.

I only decided to apply to American schools around mid October so I ended up dealing with midterms and only having about a week to prepare for the GRE and PGRE. My scores are as follows

GRE Verbal 159 80%
Analytical 162 86%
Written 4.0 49%

PGRE 810 75%

I think I will have two very strong letters of reference (from my research advisers) , and one which is a bit of a crap shoot. He is a pretty well distinguished professor (Eric Poisson) chair of the department and I got a 95 in his Advanced Quantum course. He knows me relatively well but I have no research experience with him.

I feel that with a higher PGRE my application would hold up ok but I was wondering how this looks in terms of chances at these school (also all my safety schools are Canadian ones)

Any input would be greatly appreciated including if I should wait and apply again after taking more time to focus on preparing for the PGRE

Re: Canadian Applicant Applying to top 20 Schools

Postby TakeruK » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:31 pm

If the schools you listed have groups/profs that are doing what you want to do, then I think this is a perfectly reasonable list of schools to apply to. I'm not sure what your chances would be, but it's good enough to be worth applying to. In addition, I also think you made the right decision when choosing all Canadian safety schools -- it's usually not worth it for us Canadians to go to school in the US if they're not better than the best schools in Canada. Good luck!

Return to “Tests and Scores”