Quick general GRE query

lenivix

Quick general GRE query

Post by lenivix » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:58 am

Sorry, I know this is unrelated to the Physics GRE, but I have a trivial question that I couldn't find the answer to on the ETS website, maybe someone here could help me.

For the written section of the general GRE, does anyone know if it matters if you use British or American English? I'm Irish, so for example I'd write "colour" instead of "color", "organise" instead of "organize" etc.

My assumption is that it doesn't really matter, but if anyone could shed some light as to whether the correctors are all American, or if the exams are corrected in the country where you take the exam? Thanks!

WhoaNonstop

Re: Quick general GRE query

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:52 am

I guarantee you the people who review these parts are well rooted in the understanding of colour and color and would not dock you for it. Even though I believe "spelling" is considered, neither of these are incorrect. I wouldn't worry about it myself.

-Riley

TheBeast

Post by TheBeast » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:51 am

If I recall correctly, a couple of spelling mistakes will not affect your score on the analytical section. The markers will only dock points for spelling if the mistakes are so bad that they inhibit the ability to understand the argument presented. But I seriously doubt that British spelling is considered a mistake.

For what it's worth, I got a 5.5 and a 6 in the analytical section the two times I wrote the GRE and I used Canadian English, a hybrid of English and American conventions.

lenivix

Post by lenivix » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:07 am

Cheers, I didn't really think it'd be an issue but was just wondering if one or the other was "preferred". Thanks!

negru

Post by negru » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:14 am

Yeah I think this issue is so irrelevant to your final admission chances that the time posting this question would've been infinitely better spent practicing for the PGRE by memorizing the moment of inertia of a random household item.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:37 pm

negru wrote:Yeah I think this issue is so irrelevant to your final admission chances that the time posting this question would've been infinitely better spent practicing for the PGRE by memorizing the moment of inertia of a random household item.
Or you could just go on a date with negru's mother and figure out her moment of inertia...

-Riley