I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

adityaphysicsbhu
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:35 am

I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby adityaphysicsbhu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:13 pm

I have 990(680Q and 310V).I have a score of 98/120(R=28 L=27 S=23 W=20) in toefl and also I wrote PGRE 2010 nov.Now I have paper in arXiv and one international paper in International Congress Mathematics-2010 held in Hyderabad.I have 65% in Master from Banaras Hindu University and 74% UG from Osmania University. http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/index.asp I found that my score 3.5 to 4 scale.Now what to do I don't know which university will consider my application in US.Now if I want write again I have write in dec last week .But by that time most of universities deadline Dec 15.....some have Jan 15 but I think that is time I must send complete package.But gre scores it self takes long to reach.....what to do I don't know ....can some body tell me that with this score I can get any admission.Even if I apply last rank universities.......I am interested in doing research in Theoretical physics(Many body system or complex systems or High energy physics)

User avatar
twistor
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby twistor » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:57 pm

I am so *** tired of this question. With that particular score and your research background the only school that will take you is Miami Christian University. That should be obvious. Don't bother ever applying anywhere else. And certainly don't bother doing a web search to confirm what I'm telling you; you would only be wasting precious time that could be used to fill out the application.

adityaphysicsbhu
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:35 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby adityaphysicsbhu » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:24 pm

There is hope for everything most of universities have Jan 15 last date to fill application so there is one chance to write the exam may last week of Dec......I am still optimistic....The only thing I want to know that with this score do any university take it ....since there are so many factors if gre is bad no problem the other credits do back up......

User avatar
twistor
Posts: 1531
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:47 pm

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby twistor » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:37 pm

You should know either by reading the forums or through common sense that there are no hard and fast rules about admissions. Apply to schools you want to go to and maybe a few you're sure you'll get into. Also, it wouldn't hurt to apply to a few schools you don't think you have a shot at because you never know.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby HappyQuark » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:16 pm

adityaphysicsbhu wrote:I have 990(680Q and 310V).I have a score of 98/120(R=28 L=27 S=23 W=20) in toefl and also I wrote PGRE 2010 nov.Now I have paper in arXiv and one international paper in International Congress Mathematics-2010 held in Hyderabad.I have 65% in Master from Banaras Hindu University and 74% UG from Osmania University. http://www.wes.org/gradeconversionguide/index.asp I found that my score 3.5 to 4 scale.Now what to do I don't know which university will consider my application in US.Now if I want write again I have write in dec last week .But by that time most of universities deadline Dec 15.....some have Jan 15 but I think that is time I must send complete package.But gre scores it self takes long to reach.....what to do I don't know ....can some body tell me that with this score I can get any admission.Even if I apply last rank universities.......I am interested in doing research in Theoretical physics(Many body system or complex systems or High energy physics)


Don't listen to twistor. With your scores and research you should apply to Harvard and only Harvard. When you put all of your eggs in one basket it conveys confidence and bravery, both of which are necessary attributes of a world class physicist. When you fill out your single application, make it abundantly clear that you are only applying to Harvard and that you will harm them emotionally and physically if they don't select you. This shows them how serious you are about physics and will force them to respect you. Lastly, when referring to the researchers you want to work with, throw around curse words liberally and refer to the professors in offensive and, where appropriate, borderline slanderous terms. This form of strong chest puffery will make you appear as the alpha male and they will be forced to fulfill all of your demands.

adityaphysicsbhu
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:35 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby adityaphysicsbhu » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:48 pm

Nice suggestion but lets be pragmatic .......I hope some will give nice suggestion to help me out ......

ashowmega
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:41 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby ashowmega » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:50 pm

When you fill out your single application, make it abundantly clear that you are only applying to Harvard and that you will harm them emotionally and physically if they don't select you.


@ HappyQuark, I think you are generalizing that that's how people from that part of the world make things happen- "by threatening to harm emotionally and physically". I understand that you may not have thought that way while writing it, but sometimes our words go quite further away than we mean and it does not appear good.

@adityaphysicsbhu - As far as I have heard about GRE, people are quite lenient to ones whose first language is not English. Having said that- 310 still appears quite low for admission. I don't know much about TOEFL so I can't say how well does its score reflect your English ability. 680Q might take you to schools far behind on the list, by which I mean closer to 100. The thing is that you are international student, not just by citizenship but also education. So, you will have to face tough competition from your peers from your own country, along with applicants from rest of the world. Since, General GRE is available almost any time of the year I suggest you to retake it and cross 750Q and improve in your verbal. That will make your chance better. Also, your PGRE matters and you do not know how well have you done in it. Since you are interested in theoretical physics, schools might expect you to know more and hence make decent score in PGRE. Maybe "admissionprof" has better answer on it. Good luck on your score!

schwiss
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:49 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby schwiss » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:57 pm

ashowmega wrote:@ HappyQuark, I think you are generalizing that that's how people from that part of the world make things happen- "by threatening to harm emotionally and physically". I understand that you may not have thought that way while writing it, but sometimes our words go quite further away than we mean and it does not appear good.


Not knowing what HappyQuark thought, I trust that not even generally very ignorant Americans think that Indian people are violent. I mean, with saints like Gandhi and Mother Theresa*, they are probably the most non-violent people in the whole world.

*Yes, I know generalizing to a population of a billion based on two examples is a bit questionable.

To the OP: Although twistor appears a bit shy, he really enjoys answering questions on PM. To make sure he's able to answer well, you should send your life story as a background information.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby HappyQuark » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:02 pm

ashowmega wrote:@ HappyQuark, I think you are generalizing that that's how people from that part of the world make things happen- "by threatening to harm emotionally and physically". I understand that you may not have thought that way while writing it, but sometimes our words go quite further away than we mean and it does not appear good.



Whoa, slow down there cowboy!

I wasn't in any conceivable way suggesting that emotional or physical violence was an expected response or a typical response of any group or culture. In my response, I was doing nothing more than giving the worst possible advice I could think of and my advice was meant to be bad for any person in any country or circumstances. As a matter of fact, I didn't read past the first sentence of the original post and only now became aware that the student was even an international student.

adityaphysicsbhu
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:35 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby adityaphysicsbhu » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:09 am

adityaphysicsbhu wrote:As far as I have heard about GRE, people are quite lenient to ones whose first language is not English. Having said that- 310 still appears quite low for admission. I don't know much about TOEFL so I can't say how well does its score reflect your English ability. 680Q might take you to schools far behind on the list, by which I mean closer to 100. The thing is that you are international student, not just by citizenship but also education. So, you will have to face tough competition from your peers from your own country, along with applicants from rest of the world. Since, General GRE is available almost any time of the year I suggest you to retake it and cross 750Q and improve in your verbal. That will make your chance better. Also, your PGRE matters and you do not know how well have you done in it. Since you are interested in theoretical physics, schools might expect you to know more and hence make decent score in PGRE. Maybe "admissionprof" has better answer on it. Good luck on your score!


I think you are right I must write once again this time more concentration on verbal section......I don't know with in 23 day how I can improve but I will write on last week of dec.......guys somebody tell me how to prepare intelligently(23 days) to get good score in verbal section....

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby CarlBrannen » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:13 am

schwiss wrote:Not knowing what HappyQuark thought, I trust that not even generally very ignorant Americans think that Indian people are violent. I mean, with saints like Gandhi and Mother Theresa*, they are probably the most non-violent people in the whole world.


India's a big place and there's a lot of stuff that goes on there that could be arguably labeled "violent". Bride burning, communal violence and caste laws come to mind. Most US citizens probably don't know that the original meaning of "thug" is ठग an Indian criminal organization.

User avatar
HappyQuark
Posts: 762
Joined: Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:08 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby HappyQuark » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:33 am

CarlBrannen wrote:
schwiss wrote:Not knowing what HappyQuark thought, I trust that not even generally very ignorant Americans think that Indian people are violent. I mean, with saints like Gandhi and Mother Theresa*, they are probably the most non-violent people in the whole world.


India's a big place and there's a lot of stuff that goes on there that could be arguably labeled "violent". Bride burning, communal violence and caste laws come to mind. Most US citizens probably don't know that the original meaning of "thug" is ठग an Indian criminal organization.


Admittedly, I know very little about Indian or Hindu culture. With that said, when I think ignorant and unnecessarily violent I, unfortunately, am more inclined to think of my own country. I'm a bit better at self loathing than ignorant hatred.

CarlBrannen
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon May 24, 2010 11:34 pm

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby CarlBrannen » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:54 am

HappyQuark wrote:[W]hen I think ignorant and unnecessarily violent I, unfortunately, am more inclined to think of my own country. I'm a bit better at self loathing than ignorant hatred.


That's the way it should be, it's a lot easier to change things in your home town than it is to change things in far away places. But looking at the human species as a scientist, my observation of the human species is that it is bizarrely peaceful.

I had this drilled into me when I agreed to take my buddy's girl friend, her sister, and a family relative to a concert (I think it was Marilyn Manson, if not it was somebody like that. I was too concerned with staying alive to pay any attention to the "music"). The thing lasted for 4 or more hours. There were thousands of young humans there; heavily intoxicated and drugged. It was very loud and crowded. People were "crowd surfing". But at the end of the show, as far as I could tell, no one had been hurt.

There is not another large animal species on the planet that you could crowd to such a degree, mixed animals of both sexes, in breeding condition, and avoid a complete blood bath. Even with the herbivores you'd have stampedes and fighting. Teeth and horns aren't there for show. And humans are a carnivorous animal that hunts (and controls territory) in packs. When I saw the Velociraptors in Jurassic Park I thought that the writers modeled the activities of the creatures on the most frightening thing the planet knows, a small unit of human soldiers.

So no, I don't think that humans are very violent, on average, by comparison, at least in general, towards their own kind. (Ask the cattle and chickens for another opinion on this.) I think that humans are very peaceful, but have aspirations to become even more so. This peacefulness is a necessary precondition for modern human society. It's too easy for us to break things and kill people so we work hard at making it rare.

Every now and then the humans pull some amazingly violent stunts, but in these recent modern times the vast majority of them die from reasons other than violence. A typical example of the good old days is the custom, when investing a city, to sack the city, kill all the men and enslave the others if the city refused to surrender. This custom (and the black flag signaling "no quarter") died out around the mid 19th century (and was outlawed by the first Geneva Convention).

SSM
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:57 pm

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby SSM » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:39 pm

adityaphysicsbhu wrote:
adityaphysicsbhu wrote:As far as I have heard about GRE, people are quite lenient to ones whose first language is not English. Having said that- 310 still appears quite low for admission. I don't know much about TOEFL so I can't say how well does its score reflect your English ability. 680Q might take you to schools far behind on the list, by which I mean closer to 100. The thing is that you are international student, not just by citizenship but also education. So, you will have to face tough competition from your peers from your own country, along with applicants from rest of the world. Since, General GRE is available almost any time of the year I suggest you to retake it and cross 750Q and improve in your verbal. That will make your chance better. Also, your PGRE matters and you do not know how well have you done in it. Since you are interested in theoretical physics, schools might expect you to know more and hence make decent score in PGRE. Maybe "admissionprof" has better answer on it. Good luck on your score!


I think you are right I must write once again this time more concentration on verbal section......I don't know with in 23 day how I can improve but I will write on last week of dec.......guys somebody tell me how to prepare intelligently(23 days) to get good score in verbal section....


If you have a 990 and good experience, but can't get good general scores in on time, why even bother applying this year (out of curiosity)? If you waited another year you could do better an re-apply to great schools. If your goal is a Ph.D this would probably be worth it in the long run.

The verbal section is a tough test even for domestic students. I'd say focus all of your time memorizing vocabulary words that appear the most frequently on the test (there are 200 or so).

User avatar
satyad18
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:17 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby satyad18 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:52 pm

SSM wrote:If you have a 990 and good experience, but can't get good general scores in on time, why even bother applying this year (out of curiosity)? If you waited another year you could do better an re-apply to great schools. If your goal is a Ph.D this would probably be worth it in the long run.

The verbal section is a tough test even for domestic students. I'd say focus all of your time memorizing vocabulary words that appear the most frequently on the test (there are 200 or so).

I agree with SSM.

User avatar
razor
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 1:31 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby razor » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:05 pm

@Happy Quark:

A sarcasm punctuation mark would have been of great use :lol:

axiomofchoice
Posts: 199
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby axiomofchoice » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:29 pm

razor wrote:@Happy Quark:

A sarcasm punctuation mark would have been of great use :lol:


Image
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF7MroTL ... 0E&index=7

adityaphysicsbhu
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:35 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby adityaphysicsbhu » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:53 am

axiomofchoice wrote:
razor wrote:@Happy Quark:

A sarcasm punctuation mark would have been of great use :lol:


Image
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF7MroTL ... 0E&index=7


Well certainly this is a nice way of learning verbal......I hope if I learn most frequent words from big book and practices lots of problem this can help.....I think most universities do have dates around 15 jan its top which had 15 dec.....any how I am not looking for top 30-50's ....I looking for most 60's 70's 80's 90's lets see by the time I write the exam(dec last week) scores should reach by 2 weeks to the universities so I have chance to apply.....This year....

adityaphysicsbhu
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:35 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby adityaphysicsbhu » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:50 am

Guys I wrote gre on 29/12/10........with in month I score 1060....(730q+330v)....now what do you think......I started filling application...50's rank and 70'srank and concentrating more on working with Condensed matter theory......

User avatar
zxcv
Posts: 402
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:08 pm

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby zxcv » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:08 pm

adityaphysicsbhu wrote:Guys I wrote gre on 29/12/10........with in month I score 1060....(730q+330v)....now what do you think......I started filling application...50's rank and 70'srank and concentrating more on working with Condensed matter theory......

How did your physics GRE go? That sore is much more important than the general GRE.

adityaphysicsbhu
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:35 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby adityaphysicsbhu » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:29 am

It was bad since I did not prepare for even one day.....also I wasn't too worry since I one paper and 2 conference papers....But now my main focus will be to get in touch with good group in US universities who working in many body physics........Guys can you tell me which are good groups in USA.......

bck2school
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:20 pm

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby bck2school » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:22 pm

adityaphysicsbhu wrote:It was bad since I did not prepare for even one day.....also I wasn't too worry since I one paper and 2 conference papers....But now my main focus will be to get in touch with good group in US universities who working in many body physics........Guys can you tell me which are good groups in USA.......


A good research background can help you but I would still recommend caution, and suggest you focus on lower ranked schools (don't stay in 50 - 70 range go lower). Also 1060 on the general GRE is still not a good score.

Your reluctance to state your PGRE makes me think its really quite bad, I think you underestimate the importance of the PGRE. Why don't you apply to MS programs that might not give as much importance to the PGRE, and a year into the program you can retake the PGRE and reapply.

kapil_ds
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:50 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby kapil_ds » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:56 pm

CarlBrannen wrote:
schwiss wrote:Not knowing what HappyQuark thought, I trust that not even generally very ignorant Americans think that Indian people are violent. I mean, with saints like Gandhi and Mother Theresa*, they are probably the most non-violent people in the whole world.


India's a big place and there's a lot of stuff that goes on there that could be arguably labeled "violent". Bride burning, communal violence and caste laws come to mind. Most US citizens probably don't know that the original meaning of "thug" is ठग an Indian criminal organization.



Your reference to 'thug' made me chuckle. I think the interpretation of 'thug' as an indian criminal organization comes from the early 19th century Indian History. At that time, 'thugs' were organized criminals who looted passengers on highways and it took a sustained effort from the british rulers to root that out. In a modern context, 'thug' is person who uses deceit to steal people's belongings. Violence may or may not be involved.

adityaphysicsbhu
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:35 am

Re: I have a score 990 GRE (680Q+310V) .....where 2 apply.....

Postby adityaphysicsbhu » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:54 am

bck2school wrote:
adityaphysicsbhu wrote:It was bad since I did not prepare for even one day.....also I wasn't too worry since I one paper and 2 conference papers....But now my main focus will be to get in touch with good group in US universities who working in many body physics........Guys can you tell me which are good groups in USA.......


A good research background can help you but I would still recommend caution, and suggest you focus on lower ranked schools (don't stay in 50 - 70 range go lower). Also 1060 on the general GRE is still not a good score.

Your reluctance to state your PGRE makes me think its really quite bad, I think you underestimate the importance of the PGRE. Why don't you apply to MS programs that might not give as much importance to the PGRE, and a year into the program you can retake the PGRE and reapply.


You are right but you know it is money which will be wasted for doing MS instead I should have done long back that I should have qualified Csir-net(exam for phd in India) and then I should have applied so that my financial status could have improved...but again I have to struggle for paper and follow the obligations of professors(it will like cheating him/her) .......but at least here as Internship I could publish more easily compare to phd student......My friend who are tifr iisc still don't have a paper after 2 years.....Let see I still did not lose hope after all this are test scores my application will be reviewed on my scores in master's research experience and recommendation so its not over yet.....I have applied to 6(Tennessee,Kentucky,northwestern and eastern and Nebraska, Minnesota, Arizona stat) I am interested in Theory(many-body systems)......I hope they will consider me rest I leave to them for there judgment .....and god about my qualification.......




Return to “Tests and Scores”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest