Poor Analytical Writing Score

mm4cc

Poor Analytical Writing Score

Post by mm4cc » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:56 pm

So I did pretty well on the quant (790) and verbal (570) sections of the general gre, but I got an analytical writing score of 3.0. While my quant score is in the 91st percentile and my verbal is in the 80th, my writing score is only in the 10th. How important is the writing score to graduate schools? I have demonstrated my ability to write through my courses, receiving A's in multiple English classes, as well as a 5 on the English AP exam in high school. Does this balance out my horrible writing score or should I retake the general gre to boost it?

grae313

Re: Poor Analytical Writing Score

Post by grae313 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:54 pm

I wouldn't worry about it. Write a good SOP and I think with the rest of the package you'll get the benefit of the doubt.

blackcat007

Re: Poor Analytical Writing Score

Post by blackcat007 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:17 am

mm4cc wrote:So I did pretty well on the quant (790) and verbal (570) sections of the general gre, but I got an analytical writing score of 3.0. While my quant score is in the 91st percentile and my verbal is in the 80th, my writing score is only in the 10th. How important is the writing score to graduate schools? I have demonstrated my ability to write through my courses, receiving A's in multiple English classes, as well as a 5 on the English AP exam in high school. Does this balance out my horrible writing score or should I retake the general gre to boost it?
Most schools don't care about you writing score, a few schools like UCSB do have some writing score score cut offs.
As mentioned by grae SOP and diversity essay (if you are an intl student) can compensate for it.