Poor grades in non-physics science classes

Poor grades in non-physics science classes

Postby mbien » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:15 am

I was wondering if anyone could give some insight into how much my poor grades in other sciences would hurt me if I'm applying to CMT at top schools. I got a C in organic chemistry, a C- in biochemistry, and a C+ in molecular/cell biology because I have a lot of difficulty memorizing gobs of information. My other grades are all either A's or A-'s (even for humanities courses). I have a 3.81 overall GPA, but my physics GPA is 3.95, and my math GPA is 4 (on a scale out of 4). I'm not planning to study biophysics. My research interests lie in solid state physics with topics like topological insulators, superconductivity, the quantum Hall effect, the quantum spin Hall effect, and spintronics. However, I'm worried that these bad grades in chem/bio classes might send a red flag to grad schools admissions since it's a trend. (I got an A in physical chemistry, but even though it's in the chemistry department, its content is closer to physics.) I think these grades shouldn't matter since they aren't very relevant to my research interests, yet I can't help but feel paranoid.

Return to “GPA and Transcripts”