Explaining Previous Education

crr11857

Explaining Previous Education

Post by crr11857 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:47 pm

I'm currently enrolled in a Master's program, and I am applying to transition to a PhD track for the upcoming year. However, I will not be done with my Master's by the time I intend to enroll in a PhD program. How should I explain this on my application?

TakeruK

Re: Explaining Previous Education

Post by TakeruK » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:37 pm

Do you mean you will not be receiving a Masters at all if you get into a PhD program? If so, then the following could apply:

In most application forms, when you enter your school and start/end dates, there is a box for extra notes. You should indicate it there. If this doesn't exist, then usually applications have a final page/box at the end for any special notes. Place it there too. I think it's important to have it in at least one place in the official graduate school application forms.

You should also note this on your CV when you list your Masters school. This will ensure the department also sees it and knows your plans. If you feel you need to explain this decision, also do so in your SOP.

If a Masters is not required for your PhD program, then it will probably not make a big difference. But it's important to be transparent so that the Graduate School and your department will not be expecting you to show them your Masters degree when you get there.

crr11857

Re: Explaining Previous Education

Post by crr11857 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:34 pm

Thanks so much for your help. I have indeed decided that I will attach an extra document explaining my situation