Do I have the chance of getting admitted anywhere?

mashan

Do I have the chance of getting admitted anywhere?

Post by mashan » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:57 am

Hi,

I will be applying to grad schools next year(for fall 2016) I am a double major in physics and astronomy. I have good research experiences, and my PGRE score is 750. However, my GPA sucks. I have a 3.0. I might be able to get it up to a 3.1 at the most. My grades were good until last semester. But then I went through depression because of some family issues. So I got very bad grades last semester that really messed up my GPA. I have letters from my doctor and psychologist that explains all the situations. If I get my GPA up to a 3.0-3.1 and my last 4 semesters grades are all above a B+, do I have the chance of getting admitted anywhere? I was thinking about University of Maryland, UC San Diego, and other similar schools. Please let me know what you think. This is killing me!

catharsis

Re: Do I have the chance of getting admitted anywhere?

Post by catharsis » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Keep your chin up and definitely apply to a wide variety of schools if you can afford to. I had an illness that plummeted my pgre score and I thought that was the end for me, but it wasn't. Make a direct statement about your situation and include those letters -- this DOES work, members of admissions committees specifically spoke to this fact when I met with them. Continue to work on anything you can to increase your scores (could you try to increase your PGRE? this would help a lot). Good luck!