W and WP's on transcript

Scooter

W and WP's on transcript

Post by Scooter » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:03 pm

At my school, if you withdraw before the drop date, it shows up as a W. If you withdraw after the drop date, it shows up as a WP or WF (withdraw passing or withdraw failing).

Basically, my third semester I got really sick and ended up in the hospital for a little, missing about a week and a half of class. I came back, dropped a class, and tried to catch up in my other classes. But stress, health, and being behind really got to me, and I ended up withdrawing from all of my classes for the semester.

So now on my transcript, I have one W and four WP's for one semester.
It also pushed me a semester behind, so now I'll be graduating in 5 years, while stretching my last two semesters out to part time to save money. On a side note, my GPA stands around 3.91, but my school seems to cushion GPA in the fact that they give +'s but no -'s.

Will these W's really hurt my application even with a health reason?
Does 5 years and going part time hurt it as well? Should I toss more money down to just go full time for extra classes, even though they wouldn't be physics related?

admissionprof

Re: W and WP's on transcript

Post by admissionprof » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:35 pm

Scooter wrote:At my school, if you withdraw before the drop date, it shows up as a W. If you withdraw after the drop date, it shows up as a WP or WF (withdraw passing or withdraw failing).

Basically, my third semester I got really sick and ended up in the hospital for a little, missing about a week and a half of class. I came back, dropped a class, and tried to catch up in my other classes. But stress, health, and being behind really got to me, and I ended up withdrawing from all of my classes for the semester.

So now on my transcript, I have one W and four WP's for one semester.
It also pushed me a semester behind, so now I'll be graduating in 5 years, while stretching my last two semesters out to part time to save money. On a side note, my GPA stands around 3.91, but my school seems to cushion GPA in the fact that they give +'s but no -'s.

Will these W's really hurt my application even with a health reason?
Does 5 years and going part time hurt it as well? Should I toss more money down to just go full time for extra classes, even though they wouldn't be physics related?
It won't hurt in the slightest, although you should mention it (briefly) in your personal statement. People get sick and need to withdraw -- it happens all the time and we understand that. The 5 years is also understandable if a semester was lost to illness. Just mention it briefly in your statement.