Confused

roshan2004

Confused

Post by roshan2004 » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:16 pm

I have just completed my Bachelors in Physics which is of 3 years and planning to join Masters in Physics which is of 2 years. The problem is that the University of mine sucks as the Physics course of Bachelors was very tough and they award very less marks. I got a decent score, though I messed up with my some papers of first and second year paper, I mean I got failed. However I passed those papers very well in the last year.The problem of mine is I am thinking of planning to do my PhD in US after completing my Masters here, so my question is Which level's marks do they give more importance to i.e. of Bachelors or Masters?Does My poor marks in Bachelors affect my prospect of doing Phd as I have just been admitted to the most prestigious and highly ranked university of my country. Please suggest me as it can either demoralize me or provide me the incentive to do my masters well.

pqortic

Re: Confused

Post by pqortic » Sun Oct 10, 2010 11:41 pm

if you do well in your Master and build a strong resume for yourself you will be fine. if you read other threads in this section there are many people who screwed up couple of courses during the first or second year but they compensated those with good grade in senior year and with GRE scores. and since you, physics student, passed the major courses during the last year and in master you study specialized courses these actually weigh the most not those intro/general courses.

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:46 am

roshan2004 wrote:I have just been admitted to the most prestigious and highly ranked university of my country.
You've confused me as well. Why wouldn't you go?

-Riley

pqortic

Post by pqortic » Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:27 pm

WhoaNonstop wrote:
roshan2004 wrote:I have just been admitted to the most prestigious and highly ranked university of my country.

-Riley
he is going already:
roshan2004 wrote:I am thinking of planning to do my PhD in US after completing my Masters here, so my question is Which level's marks do they give more importance to i.e. of Bachelors or Masters

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:10 pm

pqortic wrote:
WhoaNonstop wrote:

-Riley
he is going already:
roshan2004 wrote:I am thinking of planning to do my PhD in US after completing my Masters here, so my question is Which level's marks do they give more importance to i.e. of Bachelors or Masters
Oh, that makes sense. To be honest, I don't think most people on this thread will know the answer to that. None of us are on these committees. However, in general I'd say they are looking for the most well-rounded application. My guess is they weigh them fairly equally, but I also know that some schools here like their students for the whole duration of the professional degree, so they can get more out of them.

-Riley