double major GPA issue

kkjjll

double major GPA issue

Post by kkjjll » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:33 pm

I am sure this has been asked many times before.. Sorry,,

Say I double in physics and math.. when they ask for major GPA.. since my math GPA is lower.. can I just put my physics GPA for my major GPA (although my transcript would say I am a double major)?

THanks

grae313

Re: double major GPA issue

Post by grae313 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:42 pm

Yes, just put your physics GPA. If you are applying to physics graduate school, when they ask for your major GPA they are interested in your GPA in the classes required for your physics degree whether you have other degrees or not. In general, the place to mention your combined major GPA or your major GPA in other majors (if you wanted to mention them) would be the SOP or CV, but you are not required to list these other GPAs.

kkjjll

Post by kkjjll » Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:06 pm

thanks.. what if I apply to applied physics programs? How about engineering programs?

coffeecoffeecoffee

Post by coffeecoffeecoffee » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:00 pm

kkjjll wrote:thanks.. what if I apply to applied physics programs? How about engineering programs?
In applied physics and engineering, just put your physics GPA. If your math GPA is above average, I would mention it in your CV, because it is an accomplishment.

--

How to Get Into Grad School, tips from a current Ph.D. student

larry burns

Post by larry burns » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:45 pm

lets say you double majored in physics and applied math. what if you apply to physics and applied physics programs, but your math gpa was higher (3.91 vs 3.63)?

WhoaNonstop

Post by WhoaNonstop » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:17 pm

Physics and Applied Physics are still Physics though, not math. As mentioned before, I suggest you give the 3.91 somewhere else and report the physics GPA.

-Riley

HappyQuark

Post by HappyQuark » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:21 pm

larry burns wrote:lets say you double majored in physics and applied math. what if you apply to physics and applied physics programs, but your math gpa was higher (3.91 vs 3.63)?
You should be reporting your Physics GPA regardless of which is higher since you are, presumably, applying to a physics program. You can probably mention in your SOP that you did well in all of your math classes and point out your higher gpa but if they ask for a number to associate with your Major GPA, it's reasonable to assume they mean your physics major gpa.