Extra year for another major?

pkirby2

Extra year for another major?

Post by pkirby2 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:52 am

Hey everybody, I was contemplating picking up a third major in religious studies, philosophy, or music performance(Guitar) in addition to physics and something we have at my school called the honors undergraduate research major. The problem is that I would have to stay for an extra year to complete the third major. I was just curious if graduate schools look down upon staying in college for an extra year. The only real differences the extra year would have would be one of the three majors I listed above plus some extra research. Would it be worth it to stay an extra year?

noojens

Re: Extra year for another major?

Post by noojens » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:54 am

pkirby2 wrote:Would it be worth it to stay an extra year?
For a third major? Nope. For more research experience? Possibly, if it means publishing a paper or impressing a recommender.

Do the third major if you're really interested in/passionate about it. Don't do it to get into a physics PhD program.

pkirby2

Post by pkirby2 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:39 pm

Sorry, I phrased the question a little wrong. I am picking one of the three majors just for the sake of learning them. I am just curious if staying for a fifth year rather than 4 years would hurt my chances of getting into grad school.

nathan12343

Post by nathan12343 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:53 pm

I doubt it could hurt, as long as the rest of your application doesn't suffer.