Admission chances

kekejm

Admission chances

Post by kekejm » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:07 am

Hello I just started my junior year in electrical engineering, this field have never been under my interests but because of the best choice between universities I got there. I destroyed my GPA and turned into 3.04 I know its pretty low because I didn't really care about grades in my freshman and sophomore year, now when I started thinking about masters degree in physics, all good universities requires more than 3.6. I am going to do everything to increase my GPA i'm about to dedicate myself to the grades and get 4.0 in upcoming 4 semester and also I'm going to drop few classes and retake them, I think in the end my GPA will be around 3.5. I will score high in GRE physics also I have been participating in national and international olympics and tournaments and I'm going to publish few articles before I graduate.
I'd like to ask your opinion about my cases what is my chances to be accepted in physics master program in NYU or universities like that level.
Just be straight if you think i'm out of chances :oops: :oops:

cosmosis

Re: Admission chances

Post by cosmosis » Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:52 pm

kekejm wrote:Hello I just started my junior year in electrical engineering, this field have never been under my interests but because of the best choice between universities I got there. I destroyed my GPA and turned into 3.04 I know its pretty low because I didn't really care about grades in my freshman and sophomore year, now when I started thinking about masters degree in physics, all good universities requires more than 3.6. I am going to do everything to increase my GPA i'm about to dedicate myself to the grades and get 4.0 in upcoming 4 semester and also I'm going to drop few classes and retake them, I think in the end my GPA will be around 3.5. I will score high in GRE physics also I have been participating in national and international olympics and tournaments and I'm going to publish few articles before I graduate.
I'd like to ask your opinion about my cases what is my chances to be accepted in physics master program in NYU or universities like that level.
Just be straight if you think i'm out of chances :oops: :oops:
Firstly, check if the schools you are interested do have terminal masters programs. From what I know, most physics programs do not offer terminal masters. As for your GPA, there is nothing you can do to change the past. But if you do pull off good GPA for the next 4 semesters, then it will count positively. Graduate schools are interested in seeing that you have an upward trajectory. As long as you can showcase that, you should be fine.

But I will also advice you to be realistic. Simply saying that you will get 4.0 for 4 straight semesters, score high in PGRE, participate in the Olympics and publish *multiple* papers sounds like you have unrealistic goals and too ambitious. Even top students do not usually finish undergraduate with *multiple* papers, let alone one. I would highly suggest that you start focusing on the actual tasks and prioritise your goals.